2011 Fishing Thread

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

toss a line in with anything on it...something will bite.
I wouldn't mind catching mullet but I hate catching fish that I'm not going to keep; small sharks, stingrays, etc.

I still got nothing, but my buddy from shore landed a decent striper this morning...

photo.PNG

ive gone pond fishing a couple times..no pix but heres a list of the catch.
2 bluegill-gay
4 catfish-pretty cool
1 shadd-alright
1 croppy

im going to bring the camer for next time..last time i went there was a good size bass sitting literally 4 feet from land,and protecting what looked like a nest to me..wouldnt bite the hook though.

Went down to Jamaica Bay in NY last Thursday till yesterday, 4 days for that Kayak fishing tournament, only got one fish..a 28" striper....it turned out to be one expensive fish...so I'll post it.

and there were hardly any fish there, 327 guys on kayaks, and the largest was a 42" striper, then a 40", and two 38"ers... fun time though, I will be there next year better prepared.

I wonder if my bait was the problem....

222965_1995273290550_1505004523_2194569_3211717_n.jpg

227813_1991449994970_1505004523_2192522_6214540_n.jpg

Went to middletown on Sunday fished the CT River for Striper......3 hours not even a bite, used atlantic heering, sand and blood worms. ...

Sandworms worked on some schoolies in the New Haven Harbor today, got 3 about 10-13", one in the 21" range, and a huge green crab...

the 21"er got me on my left palm, and stuck me about 1/2" deep...I hope it doesn't get infected. I should be safe, it had to go thru a diving glove first.... it just hurt like a mutha.

100_0272.JPG

the spines still had my blood on them...

Nice, I really need to get out.

went out last week just messing around on my friends boat, not really serious fishing. got lucky with this beast of a snook!

this is my friend landing it...
snook1.jpg

she was 36" and around 20lbs
snook2.jpg

Wow...that's a nice snook!

Here's some baby tarpon I caught on a fly fishing trip in Mexico a week ago. All of them caught on a 8 wt. rod with clouser minnows. The second fish was caught with a foam body clouser that popped on the surface and that fish jumped clear out of the water when he hit...that was awesome!

IMAG0462.jpg

IMAG0464.jpg

IMAG0467.jpg

nice snooks and tarpons.

I've still been going out as much as I can...and still haven't got anything spectacular yet. I'm starting to find out that my timing with the tides, bait used, and lazy methods are whats causing me to not catch any fish.

There is always tomorrow..and tomorrow is another fun filled day. Today hooked up with another local that I met online... we had a blast.

those little tarpon are soo fun on light tackle. the little ones put on the best air show of any fish ive seen.

and nice striper Airjockie! do you ever troll with your kayak, i have found it works well for largemouth bass. havent really tried it in saltwater though.

I troll most of the time, yesterday we did 5 miles...my knee's are bad and were burning today, so today we just chilled out a little from the launch... and as chilling...music, drinks, funny banter on VHF radio's messing with the guys in boats.

file.php

Last edited:
I can't wait until August/September; I'll probably be shrimping and fishing for King Mack every weekend! Though, need to get some real salt-water gear.

Back