2011 Fishing Thread

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

A very long and tiring weekend finally over. Started out with only 4 hours of sleep before work friday night, worked my shift, and we ran around getting food, bait, launch permit, etc...finally got on the water in my buddies boat, and we trolled a while....got nothing. He called up his buddy who is also doing this bluefish tourney, and he told us where he is, and how they were doing, so we swung by his boat and they asked for a scale to weigh the fish they caught. Because of too many problems with cheap lip-gripper/scale and cheap scales that I had , we bought the electric scale which read out everything pretty close accurate. Their fish was 10 lbs, and we asked if they wouldn't mind if we anchored and fished next to them....no problem. I chummed the 4 porgies I caught the day before at the break wall in NHH, another buddy at work gave us a few mack's and bunkers to chunk fish, and I rigged up the poles and we started to really fish. It was like clockwork on the first bite, to the first fish landed, and I was hooking up big. I never got measurements, but they were larger than what I was catching in the kayak, I landed about 10 nice fish from 9-12 lbs, lost a lot of missed hook-ups, and broke off a few times, my buddies with me and on the other boat were doing pretty good, one got a fish over 12lbs....but wasn't enough to place or even worry about weighing in.

The black flies were literally killing us...so bad that we gave up that spot and went back in to get some bug spray and try to get back out there before the sun went down...since we forgot a spotlight, and we had to load up the boat on the trailer and get to work, just to go back the next morning. I got about a half hour of sleep, showered at work, worked, and then shot back to the boat after re-fueling it and launching. Today the sound was nothing but 3-6 foot rollers from the housy to the breakwater, a little less in the open spots... it just made the trip a little wet coming and going. I landed the first fish again, 10 pound chomper, got a few in the 11's, and had two really large one's that might have brought in some money...but one jumped off the hook right at the boat, and the other one went too close to the prop and cut the line. I do know that my uglystick was bending over as advertised...and it held up. It was just insane, so many fish, so many bites...and sooooo many lost rigs. It didn't dawn on me that the throat of a bluefish goes pretty deep, and the 12" leader's added to the steel wired hooks were not breaking at all, but the cable got beat up bad after a big fish. One buddy had line failure, clasp failure, and then his reel started to skip on every other crank. And another guy with us had an old penn real from the 60's with 20 year old line...surprisingly it never broke, but I was worried if he got a really large one...it wasn't worth it to snap off at the wrong time...so we rigged him up with some braid the next morning.

well, didn't take as many pic's as I should have, but actually got my buddy to take a few of the large ones that got gut-hooked...sorry.

100_0502.JPG

100_0500.JPG

100_0499.JPG

100_0498.JPG

100_0497.JPG

Had to take a week off from fishing to make the wife happy with her "Honey-Do" list... But got back to it today.

Very fun day, and felt great to be back on the water.

got a few nibbles on the Al's T&W, no stripers. Got a few porgy, chunked one up for bait to drop at the lighthouse on the breakwall...boom, boom, and a zziiiiiipppp---boom...

a 24", a 33", and another 33"...a few more took spool, but spat it out. And me being an idiot forgot to take a picture of the second 33"

100_0521.JPG

100_0524.JPG

Blackfish season is on.... I did a little slamming today ...stripped bass, porgy, and those taste blackfish.

100_0530.JPG

100_0531.JPG

100_0533.JPG

100_0538.JPG

100_0540.JPG

100_0543.JPG

Where were you fishing and what bait, i went on my buddies boat on Sunday and we went out about 20 minutes from a Marina in Niantic. We caught about 30 porgies and a black sea bass, but no blackfish. Used Sandworms and crab

Fuck, I really wish I had time to get out. Next year I will be trying a lot more to get out.

Asian crabs on a large jighead tied with a 50lb mono leader, it's just like plucking out goldfish out of a barrel. New Haven Harbor on the breakwall with the small lighthouse.

if you guys want to go out, we have a few spots on my buddies boat for the morning... 10-08, be at the west haven boat launch around 7ish with a pole and expect to be out for a while, so bring a lunch.

A buddy snapped a pick of the two nice keepers today, 2 20" tog's...

Somebody is eating good tonight.

Tog_s.jpg

if you guys want to go out, we have a few spots on my buddies boat for the morning... 10-08, be at the west haven boat launch around 7ish with a pole and expect to be out for a while, so bring a lunch.

i'm going out on my buddy's boat same day, we he is docked in Niantic...gonna try the asian crabs

Well, here's a little update... I've gotten very good at this sport, pulling in these fish has been almost a daily thing except when the snow hit and destroyed my yard. Yesterday I landed my personal best bluefish from the kayak at 36", and then got another one at 35". The blackfish are too many to even count now. for 20 points, they need to be over 15", for 40 points they need to be over 20". I've racked up lots of points and now I'm in 21st place out of 269 registered kayak fishermen for the North East. One more fish, and I'll be 21st place. and about 22 fish away to place in the #11. After Dec 14th...I can take a break and maybe get back to work on one of the cars.

100_0573.JPG

100_0577.JPG

100_0579.JPG

100_0581.JPG

100_0583.JPG

100_0584.JPG

100_0585.JPG

100_0587.JPG

100_0589.JPG

100_0590.JPG

100_0592.JPG

100_0593.JPG

100_0594.JPG

100_0596.JPG

100_0599.JPG

100_0601.JPG

100_0603.JPG

100_0604.JPG

100_0606.JPG

100_0608.JPG

100_0610.JPG

100_0612.JPG

100_0614.JPG

100_0615.JPG

100_0617.JPG

100_0618.JPG

100_0620.JPG

100_0622.JPG

100_0625.JPG

100_0627.JPG

100_0629.JPG

100_0630.JPG

100_0633.JPG

100_0635.JPG

100_0637.JPG

100_0639.JPG

100_0641.JPG

100_0645.JPG

100_0649.JPG

100_0648.JPG

100_0650.JPG

100_0655.JPG

Got my biggest tog today, 23.5", almost 8lbs and it could be a kayak record for this year. (even though my buddy caught a few 25 inchers, but he never uploads them)

1322419919_angler1790_team288.JPG

nice fish man! i bet you keep your fridge/freezer full of fish. ive been kayak fishing quite a bit lately, but not salt water. i found a lake nearby that doesnt allow boats, and its absolutely full of bass. no real big ones yet, but ive been catching up to 30 in a morning out there. hopefully i can get something picture-worthy (over 5lbs) soon. the winter can be really good for bass fishing down here in south FL.

You would be a heavy hitter next year for kayak wars if you stick with it... If I was in that area, I'd be out all the time. Right now I'm about in 53rd place nation-wide with 800 other guys, #17 for the North East with 369 guys...22nd if you count the ones that fish freshwater. This year I was just getting the feel for it, and now knowing what I know, I can devise a plan to make max points and to dominate next year. I just have two guys that can mess up my plans...so I need to convince them to be on my team somehow. I will travel more to go to more tourney's,...the one's I did this year was too much fun. Mostly drinking and eating than fishing...

For blackfish, 14" is a keeper up here in CT, large one's are about 20"s, and my largest of 23.5" dwarf's them. But the CT state record was broke this year with one that was 33" long and 23.5 lbs.... from a boat.

380143_2110267289556_1631824313_1738488_74984150_n.jpg

A large 20" tog next to my Togzilla (23.5")

:ph34r:

anybody know how to catch trout? the other day a buddy of mine convinced me to take my nephew out fishing. So I took a handfull of pain killers and hit up the san joaquin river.

When we got there my girl spotted about 30-40 trout hanging out in some calm water, Im talking about monster trout! 6-7LB trout! never seen them that big. Tryed just about everything on them and not even a nibble!

So if aybody has any tips please let me know. my nephew wants to go again and its so easy to get there and easy access I wont have too much of a issue taking him back.

Magana559 said:
anybody know how to catch trout? the other day a buddy of mine convinced me to take my nephew out fishing. So I took a handfull of pain killers and hit up the san joaquin river.

When we got there my girl spotted about 30-40 trout hanging out in some calm water, Im talking about monster trout! 6-7LB trout! never seen them that big. Tryed just about everything on them and not even a nibble!

So if aybody has any tips please let me know. my nephew wants to go again and its so easy to get there and easy access I wont have too much of a issue taking him back.

Were are you? Are you sure it wasnt a salmon or steelhead?

Edit: looked it up. Central cali? Still curious about the salmon/steelhead.

Last edited:

All I do here in Colorado is fly fish for trout. It really depends on the location and what's going on in the water to know what they'll eat.

However if they're just sitting there, most likely a lot of people have tried to catch them. If they've been pressured a lot they'll be less inclined to eat anything you throw. Plus if the water is super clear your going to need ultra light fluorocarbon line so the fish don't see it.

I assume you're using regular spinning tackle, so if the pools are deep enough that you won't get snagged I'd probably try something like a rooster tail or a rapala.

Were are you? Are you sure it wasnt a salmon or steelhead?

Edit: looked it up. Central cali? Still curious about the salmon/steelhead.

talked to a few guys and they said it might have been stripers, but I could see the pink sides and small mouths.

Never seen salmon before so cant say. have to give up this year on that spot, roads became super muddy.

All I do here in Colorado is fly fish for trout. It really depends on the location and what's going on in the water to know what they'll eat.

However if they're just sitting there, most likely a lot of people have tried to catch them. If they've been pressured a lot they'll be less inclined to eat anything you throw. Plus if the water is super clear your going to need ultra light fluorocarbon line so the fish don't see it.

I assume you're using regular spinning tackle, so if the pools are deep enough that you won't get snagged I'd probably try something like a rooster tail or a rapala.

not many people fish there, I couldnt see any sign of other people. and its hidden. only reason we found it is because Im the type of person that loves to fish trees next to large rivers.

I was using normal spin tackle, water was about 5 feet deep and clear like glass! I tryed everything! rooster tails, rapala trout, night crawlers, chicken liver (incase they were stripers), spinner baits, plastic worms, plastic grubs, and live shad. we were there for about 3 hours trying everything.
a few times they followed the crawlers but didnt hit, over all weas a fun day.

On a small hook, put a salmon egg and a corn kernel..sink it to the bottom...they can't resist.

Got out again this morning with a bucket of half dead crabs from last week, met up with some flat water, no wind, clear skies, and very cold temps...

Yup, I'm nuts...but gotta make up some points, and get some last morsels for some kick ass sashimi.

Pretty much fished as normal, pulled in a some nice ones...and verified that the fish are still around, hungry, and very lethargic. Big one's not fighting at all, pretty much just pulling them in, small ones fought like hell. They are deep, about 25FOW.

1322848142_angler1790_team288.JPG

1322852412_angler1790_team288.JPG

1322855407_angler1790_team288.JPG

Pascal almost would have slapped me a new one if I didn't release that fat momma... she went back into the water...

But I did take home one of each size...

383933_2133756916782_1631824313_1747225_1913821692_n.jpg

386653_2134191047635_1631824313_1747305_482533988_n.jpg

Sorry...it was the best sashimi I've ever had.... you have got to try it. I can't believe I've been giving away or putting back all those blackfish I've caught...but now I know....

my target next year for table fare will be 16-18" male black fish,...and an occasional 14" female.

I'm going back out in the morning to get more. :cool:

I had a great fishing week last week. Went out on wed. and thurs., scored 11 bass ranging from 12-15 inches in an hour on both days. I'd post pics, but super lazy and its just bass :p

my friends cook it a peculiar way; they broil the fish straight up till its cooked and flaky. then they pick the flesh from the fish thus no need to gut or scale the bass. then mince the meat with cilantro, fresh or dried thai chili, salt, pepper, lime and onions. occasionally, baked eggplants or thrown in. then its served with lettuces or cabbage.
pretty similar to PF Changs lettuce wrap, but with fish and sour and spicy instead of sweet and salty.

its pretty good. ill take pics of that next time its made.

Back