205/60 14 vs. 195/60 14

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

jimboburgess

Go fast, Go Cheap
So i am looking to get new tires, i am going cheap on these and found the HTR H4 which is Sumitomo's High Performance All-Season Radial has good reviews on TireRack.com and the price is less than $50 a tire not a bad deal.
i am wondering about size.
on the steelies i bought there are two different sizes i found are on integras; 205 and 195/60 14's
i figure the 205s give you a larger contact patch, is that right?
more tire touching the ground means that fuel consumption will be slightly lower but perforance would be better?

any thoughts on comparing these two tire sizes?

also any one have a horror story about these tires that would just say never buy them?

Attachments

• su_htr_h4_ci2_l.jpg
    su_htr_h4_ci2_l.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 1,388
The first number is the tread width. The 2nd number is the percentage of the tread width, which makes the sidewall height. 3rd number is obviously the wheel size.

SO, a 205/60/14 give you a 23.685 overall diameter. 195/60/14 is a 23.21 overall diameter.

With the 205 you will have a taller sidewall throwing off your speedo and also creating more rotational mass. If you goto Discount tire and input your vehicle, they give you the OEM tire sizes.

If you get a 205/55/14 it will be a 22.88 overall diameter, a lil wider and a lil lower overall. This will give you more contact patch as well as better accel :)

ill vouch for the tires. i have a pair of them in 14's on an old set of wheels that i gave away with the black mirage. they last a long time and have a decent grip rating for a radial.

If you get a 205/55/14 it will be a 22.88 overall diameter, a lil wider and a lil lower overall. This will give you more contact patch as well as better accel :)

Maybe for drag season i'll get a pair of competition radials which are the only tires i can find that are that size.

that's good for the vouch

To figure it out yourself:
1st # / 25.4 * .2nd # * 2 + 3rd #

205/55/14 = 205 / 25.4 * .55 * 2 + 14= 22.88

Last edited:
i use
215/60/14 pilots
on 91 gs rims
with a b16 cable tranny [it dropped my rpm on the hwy] thank god
kinda big but i just drag, and the mph thing is not that bad [to me]

Last edited:
i looked into the set of 215s vs 195s and noticed an 8 pound difference, that's 32 pounds for all four tires, that's pretty signifigant, yokohama's only have a three pound difference though, still this size weighs 20 pounds

Last edited:
If you're going to mount the 205 on a stock steel Honda 14x5 wheel, it's probably going to be way too wide. Your tire is going to squirm all over the place.

If you mount too wide of a tire on a skinny wheel, you don't really gain anything in terms of extra tread width on the ground. The tire has to deform so much to fit on the wheel that the tread doesn't sit flat from edge to edge- it bows up.

i'm running 14x6 inch wheels and nice enough on TireRack.com they tell you about suitable rim width to fit the tire of your choice.

I am running BFG gForce Sports, and they seem to be holding up well after about 35K. They grip well, ahave a nice stiff sidewall for the twisty roads, loss of grip is very linear and predictable, and I paid about 70 each shipped in a 16 inch rim size.

And I believe Acura 14 rims were (are) 14x6, at least my steelies were. 195/65-r14 is stock on the 91 integra

Back