22mm rear sway, 0mm front sway

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

seanjuan

I'm pretty close to ordering and installing the Comptech rear sway/tie bar combo for my EG and was wondering what the effects of having a 22mm rear sway bar and no front sway bar will be?

it seems like this would help to eliminate understeer but will it make the car unstable or handle poorly

I suppose if it does I could just put in the SIR2 front sway bar that I have lying around. I have the front lca's off the SIR2 as well so it wouldn't cost me anything... just the time it would take to install it.... or would installing that swaybar cancel out the effect of the rear sway?
I'm not sure what the diameter of the SIR2 front bar is but it's pretty thick (eyeball between 18 and 20 mm ) from memory

just trying to plan things out and know what to expect once I start puting stuff together

thanks
Sean

the rear sway bar will make the car more tail happy.... if the car is too tail happy for your likings ... then add the front sway bar (its not like its going to cost you anything but time)

Don't worry- just throw the front one on if you have problems later on. I think you should run with both sways though.

I see no issues really, if anything I think it would just dampen snap oversteer, which is a plus.

I think I will probably just put the rear in and see what it feels like and go from there.

If I do, and I probably will, end up puting in the front bar I would probably do a front lower tie bar at the same time... what is the scoop on the 4point front lower tie bars? are they really better than the two point bars?

31_1.JPG

as opposed to

cusco_lower_tie_barsebay.jpg

I ran through two 4 point bars... they're nice while they last, but they're made out of flat tubing that can't really handle any kind of abuse. Bottom out once and the bar is history. It also won't fit under the DC JDM 2.5" collector header.

Originally posted by Calesta@Nov 11 2003, 04:14 PM
I ran through two 4 point bars... they're nice while they last, but they're made out of flat tubing that can't really handle any kind of abuse. Bottom out once and the bar is history. It also won't fit under the DC JDM 2.5" collector header.

so what are you running right now then?

glad to hear there are potential probs with it before I bought one... sorry you had to learn the hardway

if I'm running bars everywhere else is it really going to have much of an effect to run a front lower tiebar?

I'm not running anything right now. I have to find a bar that will clear the header. In any case, the 4 point bar isn't bad- it makes the car feel tremendously better than without. It just won't hold up if you hit it. I guess if you run a stiff enough suspension that you won't bottom out, you'll be fine. The guys that I gave my old dead bars to put them on their cars and really liked them- I just prefer not to use a dented bent up bar.

so the bar didn't break it just got dented up?
do you have any pics of the damage? and how much do you have your car lowered? I have stock springs and struts right now but will eventually lower it about an inch to an inch and a half

let me know when you dent up another one and I'll buy it from you :D

Sean

Go look on my web page- the info is there. The car was lowered on Pro-Kit springs, so about 1.5 inches in front, maybe 2 inches after the swap made it sag some more. The bar just got dented up.

If you read my earlier posts in this thread, you know that I won't be using another bar since I can't fit one on anymore.

Originally posted by Calesta@Nov 12 2003, 02:43 PM

If you read my earlier posts in this thread, you know that I won't be using another bar since I can't fit one on anymore.

that's why the smilie was there, it was kind of a joke.... they don't always come accross right on message boards

I'm going to check out your site, thanks

Sean

so Calesta,
checking out your site I see that your rear sway is attached to your LCA's using some type of U bolt bracket? Is that a custom bracket you made so that you could run a rear sway without having to get different lca's? or is that something that came as part of a sway bar package for use on cars that didn't have a stock rear sway?

That's the Eibach kit. They have applications for cars that came with or without stock sway bars- mine was a DX so it didn't have anything at all. The clamps are part of the kit.

Originally posted by E_SolSi@Nov 11 2003, 03:04 PM
the rear sway bar will make the car more tail happy.... if the car is too tail happy for your likings ... then add the front sway bar (its not like its going to cost you anything but time)

i thought adding a rear swaybar would keep the tail in check (keep it from getting loose).

Originally posted by Calesta+Nov 12 2003, 05:11 PM-->
That's the Eibach kit. They have applications for cars that came with or without stock sway bars- mine was a DX so it didn't have anything at all. The clamps are part of the kit.
are you pretty happy with that setup? seems like there could be problems with it coming loose... does the front sway bar have the same type of endlinks as well?

rixXxceboy

i thought adding a rear swaybar would keep the tail in check (keep it from getting loose).

nope, a rear swaybar will help to give your car more oversteer which basically means it will be easier to get the rear end to whip around

Originally posted by rixXxceboy+Nov 12 2003, 05:18 PM-->
@Nov 11 2003, 03:04 PM

rear sway bars are the primary force in combating body roll, along with stiffer springs. They also have the side effect of promoting oversteer, because of the car being held so horizontally blah blah blah

Originally posted by seanjuan+Nov 12 2003, 05:27 PM-->
@Nov 12 2003, 05:11 PM

are you pretty happy with that setup? seems like there could be problems with it coming loose... does the front sway bar have the same type of endlinks as well?

Same kind. I haven't had any problems with it at all for over 45k miles. I trust Eibach's stuff.

I think Eibach is about tops when it comes to springs (and technically a sway bar is considdered a spring... just not a coiled one)

what size are the front and rear bars on that kit?

Back