1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

24 Hours of Lemons

Discussion in 'Members' Lounge' started by 92stoccord, May 3, 2015.

1. 92stoccord

92stoccord Big Member VIP

I know Doug has done it, but I've been reading a bit into it. I'd like to do it. 500 dollars is a slim budget. Non title cars seem like a risky bet, but it helps lower the price, and blown head gasket (assuming there's no cracks or warping) is a reasonably cheap fix but also sort of risky since I don't really know how long it's been driven like that.

Mostly around here there's a couple grand prixs and a couple old buicks on Craigslist. Some sunfires. I'd like to find a shitty 90-93 Accord or a bombed out EF Hatch. Seems like the whole race would be a good time. I have a friend who is a certified welder who could do the cage. Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?

2. double0Si

double0Si ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) VIP

I've got a 97 Sebring LXi with no catback, shit tires, and what sounds like a bad AC compressor I'll probably be junking soon... Reliable minus the slow oil consumption. But pretty big to be throwing around. Haha

3. 92stoccord

4. double0Si

double0Si ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) VIP

5. awptickes

awptickes unimpressed by you VIP

Be prepared to spend 5 grand.

99sidude and B16 like this.
  6. whiterabbit06

whiterabbit06 Why oh why didn't I take the blue pill? VIP

I was looking at the rules and such. Am I right in seeing that the entry fee is like $750 for driver and car then the winning prize is like $500?

7. get_nick

get_nick These snozzberries taste like snozzberries... VIP

Full track days are usually $500 depending on the track.

TurboMirage likes this.
  8. TurboMirage

TurboMirage YEEAAAHHH VIP

TSMP is about $150 per hour on average.

9. Briansol

Briansol Admins Admin VIP

You can thank the insurance companies/lawyers/your fellow previous generation 'racers' who sued for their own/another driver's stupidity for that.

the cost for a 1 day policy to cover an event like this is ridiculous.

10. awptickes

Our team wound up spending something like 7k on the event.

And we borrowed the truck and trailer, stayed at a team-mate's house for the race, bought a parts car for $50, used tires from everyone's garages, painted using rattle-can, got free vinyl lettering, sold about $3200 of stuff off the $2700 car we bought to run.

What I'm getting at is that while a $500/car race seems like it'll be cheap, it's not. Prepare yourself for it.

|Chaz| likes this.
  11. B16

B16 Super Moderator VIP

I did Lemons for about 3 years. Pickles is right, expect to spend around 5-7k. All that safety equipment you need to make the car legal will cost money. I think we spent 4.5k on it and we had a shop sponsor us for lots of labor, rack and had a buddy do the cage.

|Chaz| likes this.
  12. Briansol

I understand why the rule is there, but the fact that I may have to forfeit my car is the only reason why i will never participate in that event. at least if it involves financial effort from me. I'll sit for a segment if someone wants a driver :)

TurboMirage likes this.
  13. awptickes

They've never taken someone's car.

This rule is misunderstood slightly... The rule is that if the judges offer you $500 for your car, you have to accept the offer. (They add cash on top for the safety equipment.)

It's to keep people honest. If your "$500 car" is really a "$2500 car" you would think twice about entering. It helps add more risk to people who would cheat.

ETA:
    In retrospect, our biggest mistake was not cheating at all. Other teams were highly "cheaty."

14. Briansol

Yeah, again, i understand it. I would just be pissed as shit if i followed all the rules, came in under budget, and then lost my entire investment of man hours because I did it well. even if it is only worth $500 in parts.... you can't replace my time and to go home without a car, even if they gave me 5 grand for it instead of 500, i'd be pissed.

I wouldn't care about the trophy/money, etc... i'd just want to do it again next year.

15. B16

B16 Super Moderator VIP

I've never seen them take someones car. Hell the last few times I participated no one got the peoples curse award either.

Fact is you need to be a front runner by a large margin for them to take notice; which is no easy task... Best we ever did was an overall 11th and that was taking the race VERY seriously.

16. 92stoccord

What did you sell off the car to recoup 3200? You raced an old nissan, right?

17. B16

B16 Super Moderator VIP

Safety equipment and consumables are not counted towards the $500. I'm not sure what was on the list for items sold, I don't think it was much. A good cage is going to run you close to $2,000 alone. Then you need race seat, belts, tires, brakes, communications equipment, fire system, fuel.. the shit adds up.

Yes, we had an early 70's 240z with a 280 engine

18. tab

tab Super Moderator

Sounds like fun.

19. SlushboxTeggy

SlushboxTeggy It's only stupid if it doesn't work VIP

I've always thought this was cool. Even looked into it for a bit, but IDK, finding a $500 car in my area is next to impossible. It'd be a Dodge Shadow, or a Grand Cherokee with 300k, and neither would be currently running.

20. tab

tab Super Moderator

For 800 bucks around here you fan find multiple runners. Our emissions are very slack, so older cars survive. 500 would cut down your choices quite a bit though. Local auctions for towed vehicles would be a good place to start.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted