240 is on the road :)

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Originally posted by sisteve@Sep 26 2003, 02:55 PM
And it is just that, a personal opinion, but I dont understand this statement:

The smartest people were the ones choosing a 2-3 old car (like an Accord), rather than buying a new one (a Civic).

how does that make the purchaser any more intelligent? Becase they are buying a used car, with little to no warranty...compared to a brand new vehicle which has never been beaten and carries a factory warranty.

My logic obviously does not equal yours.

Geez... you must be on the rag today Steve. :roll:

Okay, if someone was shopping for a car, maybe they figuring on being able to afford a new Civic. Well for the same price, they could buy a used Accord instead. That is how they were getting more car for their money. I worked for a Honda dealership, so if they felt like it, a 7 year/100K mile extended warranty was available to them (for an extra cost).

In addition for you scaredy cats, most dealerships offer certified used vehicles now.

Originally posted by Domeskilla@Sep 26 2003, 03:44 PM
new cars = new technology = pain in the ass

used cars = had time for problems to be fixed = less headaches.

Yes! Short, sweet and to the point. Another winn4r here!!! Ding ding ding!!!

Originally posted by Domeskilla@Sep 26 2003, 03:44 PM

hmm I've always looked at it this was

new car = New technology = dealers problem

used cars = had time for things to go wrong, things went wrong, time to ditch said car, = someone elses problem = more headaches for used car buyer

Originally posted by CRX-YEM+Sep 26 2003, 03:04 PM-->
Domeskilla
@Sep 26 2003, 03:44 PM

used cars = had time for things to go wrong, things went wrong, time to ditch said car, = someone elses problem = more headaches for used car buyer

Thank you dennis.

And no, I am not on the rag. I am stating the obvious that is all.

Originally posted by 94RedSiGal@Sep 26 2003, 07:51 PM
I worked for a Honda dealership, so if they felt like it, a 7 year/100K mile extended warranty was available to them (for an extra cost).

In addition for you scaredy cats, most dealerships offer certified used vehicles now.

Do you know what Certified Used means? It means they Certify that it is used, and go through and fix and problems that are currently wrong with the car. They then turn around and jack up the price. That is the same thing they would do with "uncertified" used cars, fix the current problems and jack up the price to cover those repairs plus make a profit. CERTIFIED means your going to be paying "slighlty" less then a new car with less of a warranty and miles put on by someone else. Most "certified" cars are leases, which people beat the bag out of and return.

My GF works at one of the biggest Chevy Dealerships on the northshore, and there used stuff is exactly that, used. You should see some of the problems with the used cars that come in, get fixed ceaply and then past on to customers. To many problem cars that have come in repeatedly for things that they fix, can't get right, so the customer trades it in on another new car, and the old one gets fixed again only to be sold to some sucker who is going to have the same recurring problem also.....

Used cars even though cheaper, aren't any better of a value unless someone can get a low mileage car, that they have first hand knowledge was taken care of, for a song...

Originally posted by 94RedSiGal@Sep 26 2003, 02:51 PM

Okay, if someone was shopping for a car, maybe they figuring on being able to afford a new Civic. Well for the same price, they could buy a used Accord instead.

there is a huge difference in having a used car as compared to a new one-

just looking at the odometer and seeing 3 miles vs. 20k or so would be worth it to me

well I think this has gone slightly away from the topic at hand I was commenting on a used M3 being bought and you know B. isn't stupid enough to go to a bimmer dealer to find one and get rapped over the coals. So buying a used car second hand

I'll quote myslef

now buying a used car from a dealer w/ a warranty is a differnt story, I'd still probably not do it only because I like things to be new and I had no idea how the idiot before me treated the vehicle. but if push came to shove I'd prolly buy a dealer cert. car.

I'll say this... it goes both ways- peace of mind buying a new car, knowing that you're the first owner, or saving money and buying a used car. I just know that I'm VERY glad that my car has been in my family since it was new, and that I know the full mechanical history behind it. The two used cars (Civics) that I've bought and maintained end up being quite a headache. After 60k and 100k miles, the maintenance starts to add up pretty quick, even when the previous owners babied one of the cars since day 1. There's some stuff that just starts to wear out that's really hard to get to, and not that much fun or cheap to work on.

I'd like to close with... that I wish that everyone is always happy with the cars they own. Of course, I don't want anyone to be disapointed with their new or old car. It's just that I've heard too many accounts of new VW's and Bimmers with busted window regulators, and all the rest of the horror stories. That's why a new car would give me no extra peace of mind.

I've been so luckiy with my Hondas, that the rest of my family has switched over to them. It makes me a little nervous, as they are all in California and don't have my wonderful mechanics. I find owning a Civic to be a very logical process. The timing belts and water pumps are always done on schedule, when I get my oil changes, I walk around the car to do my own inspection and ask the mechanics questions. So I feel that I know my car really well. Probably next year, I will need a new clutch, maybe the alternator too. But with that, it's still way cheaper than going back to making car payments again.

I have my peace of mind and I wish the same for the rest of you...

P.S. While I am faithful to my oil changes, I actually have skipped alot of the little maintenance things like having the valves checked every ... what like 15K miles? *shrug*

Originally posted by Calesta@Sep 26 2003, 07:16 PM
Yup, I'm pretty happy with my Hondas- but all the little stuff really starts to add up.

What "little stuff" have you gone through? I replaced my starter motor a month ago, but it lasted 10 years... so no biggie. Fortunately, I have a manual tranny, so for half a day, I just had to remember to park my car on a hill, with its nose down. lol

Nice. Park it so you can pop start it huh? :lol:

"Little stuff" on the Civic isn't little, because almost none of it is OEM under the hood... so I won't get into that.

Little stuff on Katie's car has been: fixing horn so it would pass inspection (easy), replacing blown out shocks, still need to replace condensor fan that broke a few months after she bought the car, plugs and wires when they went bad, new exhaust system because hers is rusted and broken, dead windshield washer pump, full replacement brake stuff because her hardware was all warped and broken, hood cable because those ED hoods like to not pop, even with new cables etc....

CRX, you can just look at my site. Head gasket, axles, eating oil/coolant, brakes all FUBAR, dead shocks, coolant hoses constantly hardening and blowing off...

They're major money pits.

Originally posted by Calesta@Sep 26 2003, 07:29 PM
Nice. Park it so you can pop start it huh? :lol:

Yup! I think that I'd rather be dead than ever have to own a car with an automatic tranny. lol.

Well prior to owning this '94, I was on the civic's from the late 70's. I still miss my '79 hatch. *sigh* From owning those cars, I learned to assess each car and just bite the bullet to get anything that had to be done on them, all done in a timely fashion. At the time I had those old cars, I was making great money and working in downtown Boston. I owned these cars by choice so that I could get the free parking spaces for work. lol. So free parking and my cars never let me down in terms of being my daily drivers. They all were incredibly dependable. It was a wonderful arrangement.

So I respect Katie's budget and yours, but sensibly, make that to-do list on her car. Total up the expense and decide if it's time to just buy a younger car. For me, it was always cheaper to keep the current cars going. But I never let anything slide. I even did a CV boot earlier this summer. I just didn't want to keep checking on the little crack in it.

So the good thing about keeping my car stock... when the first muffler went, I replaced it with another OEM one. It comes with a lifetime warranty... I'm on my first free one from Honda. And as all of my friends know, as long as I keep this car, I have free Toyo Proxes tires for her courtesy of Direct Tires' wonderful lifetime warranty that covers even wearout on them. I've gotten EIGHT free tires from them so far. Hehe. And I'm going for a million miles on this car. As long as the frame is good, I'll keep her going. Still waiting for this engine to wear out... :)

not really.. we have a 330ci, i love it.. i dont like the interior tho, its sorta hard and not very cozy like the lexus or jag..

Originally posted by Domeskilla@Sep 26 2003, 09:21 PM
not really.. we have a 330ci, i love it.. i dont like the interior tho, its sorta hard and not very cozy like the lexus or jag..

Wow. What year is it and how many miles? And your mechanics are reasonable also?

the bmw is an 03, mileage is around 40K (its driven everywhere, we live in DFW, tx.. so we drive a lot) and its never been to the shop for anything other then regular maintance.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Sep 26 2003, 09:38 PM
so much for a thread about me getting a fucking 240.

We're all really happy for you about your new car B. But you were gone for so long... hours and hours. Maybe you should have just locked this thread while you were offline. So perhaps we do need a babysitter around here... lol. :lol:

Back