240sx flip-up projectors

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Dman1100

anyone know what kind of lights i could get to make a flip up projector headlight. i've heard of people using integra lights but i've looked at those and they just don't seem like they would work right. and i don't want to buy a kit for it because i'm on a budget. thanks for any help or ideas

i love the 2-projector look with the lids about half way open where the lights are just peeking out.
Image02.jpg

Kind of funny his license plate is over the little fog light dealio...

I'm with Turbo Mirage, just use silverstar's or something. I had a set on my projector's before I wrecked my car and I love the color, etc.

But yeah, if you really wanna go after that, it looks cool if that matters. Not really worth the work IMO.

looks like youll have to custom mount them.

im trying to figure out how to wire in a switch for the sleepy eyes when i go to the drift riot at the end of the month.

those are called "sleepy eyes"

do a search for em, they are for sale everywhere

you can do a permanent sleepy eye, thats super ghetto. you manually set the hadlights to where you want them and then cut the wire to the motor that pops them up. so they never move.

how to wire up sleepy eyes 101

this is for a ford prob ( i have only done it on thei car and no others try own your ccar at your own risk)

Tools used
1 wire cutter
2 electric tape
3 connectors
4 on/off momentary, stay on 12 volt switch
5 wire

1)
located head lamp retractor motor control module ( refer to owners manual for exact location ).
2)
Using a helms manual locate the wire responsable for raising the headlamps
3)
cut this wire in the middle
4)
splice in the momentery switch ( find a sutable mounting location within the car)
5)
put everything back your done

When you activate the head light they will no go up until you push the new switch adn set the desired height. When you switch them off they go down like normal

(once again i am not responsable if you fuck up. if you cant use a manual or o volt meter to find the correct wire and fuck somthing up to bad )

Originally posted by Smonkeyboy@Mar 11 2004, 03:41 AM
you can do a permanent sleepy eye, thats super ghetto. you manually set the hadlights to where you want them and then cut the wire to the motor that pops them up. so they never move.

:lmao:

i just want some ideas on what kind of lights to use. What do the lights in the pic look like? I thought they looked like integra lamps but after looking at a few integras, they just don't seem like they would work too well. i can get the stuff for the sleepy eye off of ebay or something

i got an idea. you might not like it cause its expensive, but it would work, and look uber sick

totally remove the stock headlights, and put some HID foglights, with the driving beam in them, like these.

piaa-930-HID.jpg

H.I.D. (High Intensity Discharge) lighting is the most advanced technology available in the market today. PIAA's H.I.D. technology features state of the art micron ballast, which fries over 20,000 volts to ignite the H.I.D. arc. Once ignited the arc via a 35 watt bulb is capable of providing over 150 watts of power. The 930's unique design compliments the contours of today's aerodynamically designed vehicles. Ultra low profile design allows for easy installation and a multitude of applications for today's sport car and truck enthusiasts. The 930 H.I.D. exhibits all the performance you have come to expect from PIAA. Kit Includes: two lamps, two ballasts, wring harness, relay, and switch.

Price for the PIAA-9352..............$1325.00

you could run an uber low sleeper. but with functional HID's like this D1 guy.

1078075510.jpg

OoooOO I love that pic Smonkeyboy, hella sexy! B) However, I like coupes and plan on getting that really soon..

at the DGTA Drift-out Wednesday last year, I got the opportunity to line up an exact comparo of HID and Silverstar:

Me: 1991 Civic Hatch with Silverstar headlights and high-beams
Him: 1991 Civic Hatch with BMW HID system to H4 converted housing

The two cars even looked alike. Same color. He's a nice guy.

The Silverstars lacked the defined edge that the HIDs provides at the top of the beam, but the color temperature and luminosity is the same. My high beams were brighter, because he decided to save some money and not do the HIDs on the H9 highbeams.

Silverstar, at a $400 savings, is clearly the winner. He also arcced the power to the frame and nearly cost him his engine wiring harness. He took a hit in the arm with the 60,000 volts HID starter. Factor in frustration and the winner is clear.

That is all.

-> Steve

i like the fog lamps but that is pretty pricey. any lamps like that that aren't hid and still bright enough for normal city/highway driving?

These are the brightest foglights I've ever seen.
hella foglights
They are so bright you can feel the heat from the bulb lke 2 feet away. I'd say about 4X as bright as the highbeams on my friend toyota 4x4, on which we mounted the fog lights. THey are inexpensive too. Pretty much anything byhella is a good product. The ff series are bright also.

there is another alternative to the sleepy eye look.
it is from a respectable person from 24osx.org

Tools:
wire cutters
tape

1) locate the switch that pops up the lights without turning them on. left of the wheel

2) pull it out, careful not to break it, pull with a litte force and it should come out fine.

3) tug a little untill you can have clear access to the wires connected behind it

4) find the BROWN wire and cut it.

5) tape them so they dont short out. be sure to tape them somewhere so that if you want to connect them again, you can.

6) reinsert button. you are done with it.

THERE! THATS IT!

How to operate:

1) use the stick to turn on ur lights ( the one that flips them up and on)

2) push in the modified button.

3) turn off the light (from stick)

4) once you depress the modified button, the light will start to go down, press it in again to stop them. the key here is timing. time it right so that the lights look to your taste. if they go down all the way, just repeat.

props to kickertu for posting on 240sx.org. its a great site.

Back