250 whp N/A?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

i never really was into the pully thing. i could see it being a benifit when removing the a/c and using the CTR one but other than that, underdrive pullies to me were never worth the money.

lighter flywheel is a little different. :) I plan on buying one when i replace the clutch.

Correction,

Aftermarket "LIGHTENED" pulleys will recover lost horsepower due less rotational mass. Basically every pound of rotation mass is equvilent to 10 pounds dry mass. This will require less output being taken from the crank to run these accessories. Underdrive pulleys are usually made of aluminum versus the default steel type of pulleys. Unless the O.E. pulley weighs less, you will make more HP. Also, a simple example of this has to do with why people are generally worried about how much their wheels weigh in regards to racing / dynoing. Lighter wheels will make your car faster for sure

true. But there is also something call balance. The motors all have been balanced with the the oem pully to match the crank and all other components.

Total noob question here but dont you think this might actually harm the motor alittle.

what your saying makes sense but since i have never done the pully swap i dont know the facts

What Taco is saying is correct, and basically it has to do with the dampening in the OEM pulleys. It simply isn't present in the aftermarket pulleys except for a very few select brands. I know Fluidyne makes aftermarket crank pulleys with the dampeners on them. Get one without the dampener and sit tight for some pre-mature main bearing wear.

the camshaft would get you the most bang for the buck, and sound the coolest
assuming you can do it your self, otherwise it might cost a lot

Going back to his original question, he has Intake and Exhaust. The K-series is great, but it isn't magic, N/A power is still the same (cams/compression/flow/tuning)...cams (aftermarket/or OEM TSX), compression (already got 11:1), a good header, Good IM ( honda RBC/civic k20z3 si mani) and tuning (Kpro), but he asked, besides Kpro. Pulleys will free up some lost HP, but that would be the last thing on my list, make more HP first and get the engine breathing at its full potential. Just my 2 cents.

What Taco is saying is correct, and basically it has to do with the dampening in the OEM pulleys. It simply isn't present in the aftermarket pulleys except for a very few select brands. I know Fluidyne makes aftermarket crank pulleys with the dampeners on them. Get one without the dampener and sit tight for some pre-mature main bearing wear.

True, but the wear is next to NOTHING.

You'd have to understand harmonics to understand how it works and how it can destroy an engine. It's not magic; once you look into it, it makes sense.

Huge hint: guess what's DIRECTLY connected to the crankshaft, that acts as the "heart" of the engine?

There's plenty of guys who've documented wear. In reality, normal bearing wear would come only from start-ups but good oil would prevent such wear. You can't disregard countless people that have noticed wear after a pulley swap with a simple statement like that.

i agree IN THIS SITUATION, now if he had just bought a saturday night car and said he had an LSX block and he wanted to get the most power out of it i would say balance the rotating assembly, balance the pulleys, expiriment with oil type, ect, but we are talking about a factory k20 that he wants to get a lil more giddy-up out of.

without kpro or other tuning software your not going to get anymore. your only going to throw it off. The ecu can adjust its a/f and timing but only to a certain point. you canCANNOT install cams without tuning. i think he pretty much has gotten what he could from his bolt ons. If he goes and tunes it with what he has, he can get more hp.

right now any other suggestions are worthless without tuning software first.

without kpro or other tuning software your not going to get anymore. your only going to throw it off. The ecu can adjust its a/f and timing but only to a certain point. you canCANNOT install cams without tuning. i think he pretty much has gotten what he could from his bolt ons. If he goes and tunes it with what he has, he can get more hp.

right now any other suggestions are worthless without tuning software first.

I agree.

Back