2nd alternator

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

OK well as it says I'm going to install a 2nd alternator if i can this is my plan remove non working ac compressor and fab a bracket to run a stock alternator there. well bracket is done made it on old motor needs put in the car. OK on wiring i have some questions???????

1. Do you have to have the round 4 wire plug in a stock alt for it o make power.

2. Is it going to mater if one is putting out a different voltage that the other. say 13.1 on one an 14 on the other.

3. Are 2 4awg power wires good enough for a combined total of 1500 watts on good amps

Search sounddomain.com Electrical explanation forumand others for info on how to get it too work right. Also you might be better off having the cars original alternator running the car and the second just for the sound system, just an idea. i almost did a dual alternator setup on my bonneville. As for the wire size i'd go for 0 gauge into a distribution block and then off to 2 4 gauge wires, but make sure you amps except 4 guage wire.

This is an article on a kit for a larger car but it will help get you started link

If you google it you will find alot of stuff....

Hope this helps!!!

1. yes you do need that plug to make power.

2. It does not matter depending on how you wire the second alt.

3.if you went to all the trouble to fabricate an alternator bracket why are you half assing the power cable. I would use 1/0. especially if that is the largest gauge your amps were designed to take.

M

so on the plug would i just splice the stock one and run it to both alts or what and im going to run 2 4awg because thats what i have and it will still end up with the same ammount of current at the amp

as far as wiring the 2nd alt i was think that i would run it to the battery junction block good idea or no

Back