2nd gear grind

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

allmotord16rex

Just wondering if any of you guys have it. At first I thought that I was just trying to shift too fast and not fully depressing the clutch, but it has happened several times in the past few months. I've read on s2ki.com and it seems like pretty much everyone on there has it. My car is certified used honda so it has a 100k mile warranty, but if I tell the dealership I'm not sure I can replicate it. Also, it only does it when I take it to redline in 1st and shift into 2nd. If anyone has had it, how have you fixed it. Most people recommend GM syncromesh tranmission fluid. Have any of you guys ever tried it?

Nope, never had any problems--mine shifts like shit, but that's because it's an 00. Every 00 I've driven shifts the same, all 03+'s shift MUCH smoother. I've driven at least a dozen S2K's, never had a grinding in ANY gear, I'd check it out.

My 00 shifts very smoothly. I've got a grind sometimes, but its user error. You can shift fast, just don't gorilla grip the shifter and force it. And fresh fluid never hurts if you haven't changed it out recently.

Yeah I think it's probably user error. I think I am not fully depressing the clutch when it happens. It is quite a common problem if you search on s2ki.org though. I think that the clutch is not strong enough to shift hard and not fully depress it. I think I am still used to my Clutchmasters in my old CRX. I only had to depress it about a quarter of the way. It's not really a big deal, but I just wanted to see if any of you guys had it. It's like it grinds and it won't allow it to go into 2nd gear. I have to fully depress the clutch and then put it in 2nd. If it were a tranny issue it would probably grind, but still go into gear. It actually kicks it out of gear, which makes me think that it's just user error. Well, thanks for the input!

allmotord16rex said:
Most people recommend GM syncromesh tranmission fluid. Have any of you guys ever tried it?

I have used that on several other honda transmissions and always had great results.

Well, I was looking at some of the posts on s2ki.org and some of their tips were to adjust your seat. I .looked at mine and it was all the way back, touching the back of the car. I remember when I first got the car it was up a lot farther and there was a gap between the back of the seat and the back of the car. I adjusted my seat to where I am sitting fairly close and that seems to fix it. I can shift it really fast first to second and it won't grind as long as I make sure the clutch is to the floor and I don't release it too soon. I think that when the seat was back farther it was taking longer for me to fully depress the clutch than to pull the shifter, thus the grinding and not going into gear. I'm still gonna change the tranny fluid with synchromesh, but it looks like moving the seat resolved the issue.:D

Yup, seat adjustment can help. I like to have mine close enough to where I can floor all the pedals without stretching my toes out. You have more control that way.

I put some synchromesh in the tranny and some Mobil 1 synthetic in the diff. today. Seems to shift a lot smoother!

Back