2nd Mortgage paid off

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Haha, you're really taking this personally.

You don't need an associates degree to understand. lol, good luck bud..

cheers

Last edited:
Wow, this went south quickly. It's the internet, everyone has an opinion, no reason for anyone to get upset or offended.

OP, I'm glad it worked out for you in the end, and I think you deserve some credit for not just walking away from the mortgage like so many others have done.

The "peanut gallery" makes some good points as well. It really is all in the fine print. I'm sure next time you sign any mortgage documents you'll be more cautious.

I think the best policy MOST of the time is to not buy a house/condo on a joint basis until there is a marriage.

Wow, this went south quickly. It's the internet, everyone has an opinion, no reason for anyone to get upset or offended.

OP, I'm glad it worked out for you in the end, and I think you deserve some credit for not just walking away from the mortgage like so many others have done.

The "peanut gallery" makes some good points as well. It really is all in the fine print. I'm sure next time you sign any mortgage documents you'll be more cautious.

I think the best policy MOST of the time is to not buy a house/condo on a joint basis until there is a marriage.

Yeah because a marriage is forever.................

This whole fucking thing is turning out to be hilarious:

why do americans always think it's so much better to buy?

Because it is the LIE that the industry sells...just like colleges telling you that your shiny new degree will help you get the job you want so you can fuck your fat wife in your new hot tub every Wednesday....

Um.. because before OCT 2008 It was a sound investment ..

False...there is no such thing as a sound investment...this immediately demonstrates a fundamental lack of understanding on your part.

and now again with how low prices are its stupid not to buy a house. Why the fuck would you rent when you can buy

Are you 15 years old? Let's see...houses increase in value at roughly the rate of inflation or about 3%

Plus you are paying $15-$20 per $1000 of assessed value in property taxes (probably higher in a lot of places)...So on a $350k house that is $7000 a year

Plus you are paying 6% on the amount you borrowed

Plus you are paying for maintenance

Well there goes your "investment"...

It is not a motherfucking investment. It CAN be. But it is not inherently such. It is a place to live. Buy a house because you want one, not because you think you are going to cash in your chips in 10 years and walk away with twice what you paid...that's a fucking dream.

Renting gets you nothing.

Actually it gets you a place to live, which is pretty important last time I checked.

Well just to clarify, the problem wasn't that we bought a place together.

Yes it was

The problem stemmed from some genius loan company deciding to give first time home buyers a $50,000 2nd mortgage who only lived there 9 months and not explaining anything about it.

It was pretty genius...you bought into the dream didn't you?

Partially our fault for not researching more.

Completely your fault. Do you trust car salesmen? TV salesmen? Insurance salesmen?

Why would you trust a mortgage salesm...oh right..."broker"

no one knew this shit except a few on the top and a few really smart people no one listened

False again. 2 bedroom 1 bath houses in Suburban LA for 1.5 million...and no one saw the bubble? C'mon. It was a motherfucking bloody feeding frenzy...

I realize that value isn't supposed to go up much in the short term. That's why it's called an investment.

You must be an engineer

Yeah there are lots of stories of people who couldn't afford houses getting houses... that's the whole fucking problem. That's what happens when you force banks to give loans to people who don't deserve them because they are "so poor and helpless *sob*"
This however is 100% true ;)

whose responsibilty is to educate and protect the interst of the borrower?

The borrower's...just like you research a car's value and reliability ratings before you hit the dealership...not show up and expect the salesman to give it to you straight.

It's my job to explain the laws of worker's compensation in their state and the rights they have under the worker's comp act. it's not their responsiblt to take courses and obtain an associates degree to obtain understanding of what they are getting into.

That's because you basically have to be a fucking attorney to sort through that shit.

The Real Estate Settlement Practices Act (RESPA) required all lenders to give you SEVERAL disclosure statements indicating the terms of the mortgage including how much it is ACTUALLY going to cost you with interest, over the full term. This was one of your original closing docs and everything was listed in HUGE BLACK LETTERING...

Hahaha it's not. It's easier to get divorced than it is to get someone's name off a mortgage. In fact they would have to die for that to happen:ph34r:

Last edited:
I always do...you should have some from me recently

Yeah there are lots of stories of people who couldn't afford houses getting houses... that's the whole fucking problem. That's what happens when you force banks to give loans to people who don't deserve them because they are "so poor and helpless *sob*". Requiring the banks to give loans with less up front money (if any at all!).
The banks were gladly giving loans to people who couldn't afford them. No one was forcing them. They allow the person to use their life savings as a down payment, then 18 months later when they can't get by, the bank gets the house. They sell it and make money. Short-term. Not over 30 years like that would have if the person was able to afford the house.

They were know in the industry as NINJA loans. No Income, No Job, APPROVED.

The financial community as a whole came up with tons of "creative" ways to make money or get capital. If you don't believe me, look into Auction Rate Securities. It was a creative way to finance projects long term while paying interest at short-term rates.
I'm sure you didn't have to come up with 20% like our parents did, right corvetteguy? Of course some people at the banks are gonna gain the system to make money. Thats what happens when you force private industry to do stupid things, they will come back and do something retarded to counter. You only have the federal gov't to thank and I think that is the lesson everyone is missing. This current Goldman witch hunt is just a rouse.
We had a discussion on the Goldman thing in my Accounting class the other night. Everyone wants to hate on them because they have been so successful and basically rule the market. But I digress. My older sister works for them and I want to work for them so I'm probably biased. But there current situation was unethical, not unlawful. Then again, as my professor put it, "Unethical and unlawful just depends on what book the rule is written in."

The banks were gladly giving loans to people who couldn't afford them. No one was forcing them.

False. Read up on HUD and CRA....it forced banks to relax lending standards that were in place to mitigate risk, in favor of making the american dream accessible to those that would not have normally qualified....because everyone deserves a house!

This whole fucking thing is turning out to be hilarious:

Because it is the LIE that the industry sells...just like colleges telling you that your shiny new degree will help you get the job you want so you can fuck your fat wife in your new hot tub every Wednesday....

False...there is no such thing as a sound investment...this immediately demonstrates a fundamental lack of understanding on your part.

Are you 15 years old? Let's see...houses increase in value at roughly the rate of inflation or about 3%

Plus you are paying $15-$20 per $1000 of assessed value in property taxes (probably higher in a lot of places)...So on a $350k house that is $7000 a year

Plus you are paying 6% on the amount you borrowed

Plus you are paying for maintenance

Well there goes your "investment"...

It is not a motherfucking investment. It CAN be. But it is not inherently such. It is a place to live. Buy a house because you want one, not because you think you are going to cash in your chips in 10 years and walk away with twice what you paid...that's a fucking dream.

Actually it gets you a place to live, which is pretty important last time I checked.

Yes it was

It was pretty genius...you bought into the dream didn't you?

Completely your fault. Do you trust car salesmen? TV salesmen? Insurance salesmen?

Why would you trust a mortgage salesm...oh right..."broker"

False again. 2 bedroom 1 bath houses in Suburban LA for 1.5 million...and no one saw the bubble? C'mon. It was a motherfucking bloody feeding frenzy...

You must be an engineer

This however is 100% true ;)

The borrower's...just like you research a car's value and reliability ratings before you hit the dealership...not show up and expect the salesman to give it to you straight.

That's because you basically have to be a fucking attorney to sort through that shit.

The Real Estate Settlement Practices Act (RESPA) required all lenders to give you SEVERAL disclosure statements indicating the terms of the mortgage including how much it is ACTUALLY going to cost you with interest, over the full term. This was one of your original closing docs and everything was listed in HUGE BLACK LETTERING...

Hahaha it's not. It's easier to get divorced than it is to get someone's name off a mortgage. In fact they would have to die for that to happen:ph34r:

You live in a world where the glass is half empty don't you. i couldn't possibly live that way, but to each their own.

Anyways, I have a solid plan set and I'm happy with, which is all that counts.

You live in a world where the glass is half empty don't you. i couldn't possibly live that way, but to each their own.

Anyways, I have a solid plan set and I'm happy with, which is all that counts.

My glass is not half empty - in fact it is overflowing at the moment. I have a beautiful wife that has survived a cancer scare. I have been happily married for 3 years. I have been living in my gorgeous house for 2.5. I have totally job security and my wife just got into grad school off the waiting list at the second rated university in her prospective field.

My comment was based on the stat that 50% of marriages end in divorce that is all.

"I think the best policy MOST of the time is to not buy a house/condo on a joint basis until there is a marriage."

False. Read up on HUD and CRA....it forced banks to relax lending standards that were in place to mitigate risk, in favor of making the american dream accessible to those that would not have normally qualified....because everyone deserves a house!
I didn't mean to say that that wasn't happening too. That definitely did happen. But some didn't see it as force, some saw it as an advantage to do what I described.

Exactly. The Fed tried to force banks to make the American dream accessible to people who hadn't earned it so they turned around and said "OK, we can do it but it's going to cost them", because of course the legislation did not lay out the terms of the lending...only that they had to do it. A prime example of why governments FUCKIN FAIL at regulating industry...When you have reverends and municipal employees turned politicians and other business-ignorant people dictating legislation...

Back