$3.99 by March.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

According to http://www.eia.doe.gov/pub/oil_gas/petroleum/data_publications/company_level_imports/current/import.html
in March 2007,
the top 5 countries that the U.S. imported crude oil from are
Canada 1,780,000 barrels per day
Mexico 1,621,000 barrels per day
Nigeria 1,290,000 barrels per day
Saudi Arabia 1,216,000 barrels per day
Venezuela 1,036,000 barrels per day
And the top 5 countries that the U.S. imported Petroleum from are
Canada 2,305,000 barrels per day
Mexico 1,749,000 barrels per day
Nigeria 1,346,000 barrels per day
Venezuela 1,285,000 barrels per day
Saudi Arabia 1,244,000 barrels per day
According to http://www.state.gov/r/pa/ei/bgn/2089.htm

as far as oil consumption, I would hazard a guess that the top use of petrolium is not powering cars.

Well,yes.. They ARE stupid. But they have the Kennedies eating out of their hand. There will ALWAYS be someone there to buy it up. Think Rockefeller.

Rockefeller was when the oil industry wasn't fragmented.

Standard Oil, alone, supplied 1/4 of the oil to the allied forces during WWI. No one company has that sort of power anymore.

Vennezuela has been threatening to nationalize Exxon and another US oil company for a few years now. I believe he already nationalized another oil company's assets in the past year.

We're just going to become more dependent on Canada, Mexico, and the last place that we want to become dependent on - the Middle East. This is until Shell can extract oil from Alaska where it just paid $18,000 an acre for drilling rights or until deep sea oil off of the Gulf of Mexico or until we find an alternative fuel supply.

OPEC claims that they don't like when oil is over $80 a barrel because we begin to start looking for alternative fuel supplies around that price. My guess would be that OPEC bumps up production to help keep prices down if they stay true to their word.

I've been researching this topic quite a bit lately and I actually have Matthew Yeoman's book, "Oil" sitting next to me. There's quite a bit of speculation about peak oil theory and that we've already reached a peak, also Yeoman speculate's that there is not as much oil in the Middle East as the Saudi's claim. The WSJ did quite a few pieces on this and an ex-Aramco exec. says that the Saudi's overspeculate their oil capacity so OPEC allows them to drill and sell more, then it would if it knew how low the oil supply actually was in the Saudi oil fields.

We aren't the problem here. Even people who build and enjoy 10 mpg muscle cars arent the problem.

We aren't 1/4 the problem that soccer moms who feel they NEED a 6000 lbs SUV to carry one person and a precious 80 pound turd to school are the fucking problem.

According to the US Bureau of Transit Statistics for 2004 there are 243,023,485 registered passenger vehicles in the US. Out of these roughly 243 million vehicles, 136,430,651 (56.13%) were classified as cars, while 91,845,327 (37.79%) were classified as "Other 2 axle, 4 tire vehicles," presumably SUVs and pick-up trucks. Yet another 6,161,028 (2.53%) were classified as vehicles with 2 axles and 6 tires and 2,010,335 (0.82%) were classified as "Truck, combination." There were approximately 5,780,870 motorcycles in the US in 2004, which accounts for 2.37% of all registered passenger vehicles.

As i hate the soccer mom just as much as you, out of that 37.79%, 21% of those are trucks. So don't forget to blame that red neck road hog next to you on your way into work tomorrow morning.

We aren't the problem here. Even people who build and enjoy 10 mpg muscle cars arent the problem.

We aren't 1/4 the problem that soccer moms who feel they NEED a 6000 lbs SUV to carry one person and a precious 80 pound turd to school are the fucking problem.

You like making bold, blanket statements.

Transportation accounts for the majority of oil use in the United States. So yes, we directly contribute to the number one use of oil.

SUV sales aren't that fucking excessive that they supersede every heavy duty truck or sports car made over the last 50 years that get poor gas mileage, especially when modded.

Believe me, I'm more than happy with enjoying my toys but I'm not a damned fool that says, "oh its the soccer mom's that are the real problem!" Soccer moms don't have incredibly much to do all day and they don't drive as much on average as a person who has to commute, daily, to work.

The only reason it's a terrible fuel is that it takes more energy to produce E85 than we get out of it. There are other alternatives like switchgrass which actual produces a net gain of energy output and there is also hemp

Do we have the infrastructure in place to move from a corn based ethanol to a switchgrass based ethanol like Brazil?

The infrastructure isn't there yet.

I would love that we use something other than corn based, considering the economy and the inflationary prices of food that an increase cost in corn, due to a greater demand, has helped cause.

No. China is the problem. They've got like a billion people and they're starting to catch up and use our gas. Those buttholes don't need to drive.

Look up national GDP figures.

Although India and China are growing, their economies are still a far cry from ours and the European Union. We quadruple their GDP.

Brazil is much closer, but gets less press.

Soccer moms don't have incredibly much to do all day and they don't drive as much on average as a person who has to commute, daily, to work.

I agree with you there. Out of 300 cars that i look at every month 40 of them are suv's and they have the least amount of miles on them.

No. China is the problem. They've got like a billion people and they're starting to catch up and use our gas. Those buttholes don't need to drive.

Like I said. I say we tell those environmentalist, tree hugging, hippie sons of bitches to go fuck off and just drill in Alaska and the Gulf to buy some time before we run completely dry. And even if China's not our problem now, they WILL be when the number of cars produced/shipped there and drivers rises. Drastic times call for drastic measures. Either it'll mean war, or there'll be a set date when gasoline vehicles are all required to be junked or traded in for a car that runs on whatever alternative we find.

There's even some rich kid pricks at my school about 4 of them who got mommy and daddy to buy them a Hummer and they drive them daily! ASSHOLES

I agree with you there. Out of 300 cars that i look at every month 40 of them are suv's and they have the least amount of miles on them.

There's plenty of reasons to hate them and to hate SUVs in general, but they're certainly not a significant factor compared to daily commuters. I'm sure car enthusiasts/sports cars make up as significant factor as soccer moms.

The only reason it's a terrible fuel is that it takes more energy to produce E85 than we get out of it. There are other alternatives like switchgrass which actual produces a net gain of energy output and there is also hemp
Isn't switchgrass the Celluostic E85 I originally mentioned?

Like I said. I say we tell those environmentalist, tree hugging, hippie sons of bitches to go fuck off and just drill in Alaska and the Gulf to buy some time before we run completely dry. And even if China's not our problem now, they WILL be when the number of cars produced and drivers rises. Drastic times call for drastic measures. Either it'll mean war, or there'll be a set date when gasoline vehicles are all required to be junked or traded in for a car that runs on whatever alternative we find.

There's even some rich kid pricks at my school about 4 of them who got mommy and daddy to buy them a Hummer and they drive them daily! ASSHOLES

Stick with it.

Shell just bought drilling rights in Alaska. This was sanctioned even when they estimate a spill risk at 50%.

Thats pretty terrible for the environment.

Isn't switchgrass the Celluostic E85 I originally mentioned?

Is that what Brazil's ethanol is technically called? I'm not sure if this is a redundant question that you know the answer to already, but I do know the basics that we use corn based, which is incredibly stupid considering the fact that we're a corn based society that uses corn starch and syrup in the majority of our products, and Brazil uses switchgrass.

I don't know what the costs of a transition would be or how long a transition to new infrastructure would take to complete.

gas was 4.39 here after katrina if i remember correctly. 3.99 in the summer really isn't uncommon

we are a $2.75 or something ... the highest i remember is like $2.98

im sure i have said it in many other threads but DAMN i love texas :)

gas was 4.39 here after katrina if i remember correctly. 3.99 in the summer really isn't uncommon

When did gas go up to this. I live 1 town over and it didn't hit that here.

Back