3 pipes leaking...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

samsaphone

I am just learning how to work on my 1990 ac. int. ls 4 door...
Inside there are 3 small pipes...1 is about an 1/8 inch thick and the other two are about 1/4 inch thick...They are directly placed on top of each other with the smaller pipe on top...I noticed a large puddle of drty radiator water underneath my car...It needs a good flush...When the car gets heated to running temp. the pipe on the bottom starts to spit out this dirty water/fluid...the pipes connect to the air filter tube and the one on the bottom goes to the engine closer to the bottom where the thermostat is...the top pipe goes to the near the throttle body is...i cannot remember where the other one goes...My question is what are the names of these pipings? What do they do? How can I replace them if a can actually do it myself? Will I have to continually put water or fluid in my radiator to drive if indeed driving is o.k.? Since I am still learning I am very eager to find out as this will be a learning opprtunity...Trying to stay positive about the situation!!!

sounds like you are just talking about coolant hoses that connect various things. if you search you can find diagrams of your engine and even find the part numbers if you want.

You can simply cut the steel "pipe" at 2 ends then get some high pressure 1/8" rubber hose and get 2 clamps and clamp the hose on there firmly. Make sure its High Pressure or you will be replacing it again, and again, and again!!.

I put industrial steel epoxy to close it up and it worked...I am just buying time and do not plan that as a permanent fix...Yesterday my car started to overheat almost to red line...When I got home I unplugged the readiator from the release on the bottom front of the car to drain it...There wazs alot of corrosion...Brown water...i kept flushing it til it was pretty much clear...Next i tried to bleed the system...I put water in the radiator and turned the car on...Next I opened the bleeder valve by the radiator hose that connects to the bottom of the head...I waited almost 20 minutes and found that I could not get the air out...Next I replaced the thermostat...It merely made my car overheat a little slower...I checked before all of this for leaks and found none...I cannot seem to get air out of my sytem...Furthermore Water pulses out of the top of the radiator when I take the radiator cap off...I even tried coolant to see if it was a steam issue....Same result...The fluid just pumps out the top...My computer is throwing a code 43Fuel Supply System...I am at a loss...Could it be my water pump not pumping water efficiently?
This is all really bad timing because I have some appointments that I have to be there for or else i am in real serious trouble!!!!

First off, you need to drain the coolant and put some back in, fresh or not, then run your car with only as much as it needs and keep pouring more in little by little while the car is running. That is the only way you will stop it from having air in it; it needs to recirculate at a slow pace. Also, if necessary, buy new radiator hoses. Is your headgasket blown by any chance?. If you do not know how to check for that; check in your oil for radiator fluid residue on the dipstick. Now, is the brown residue in the coolant like oil Brown or like s&@t Brown?.

Alright, my un-professional opinion is to check and/or replace the radiator. This is ONLY a suggestion, as I think that may be what it is. Check first then replace.

What ind of things should I check for and how do I check for them...On dry level surface I could not find any leaks...As well I used coolant and It used alot and still overheated...When I had a continous flow out of the bleeder I closed it...Then I put in more coolant at an extremely small and slow pace...I filled it to the top...I took a drive around and It still overheated...I had a friend chek for smoke out of the back...I gunned it at 2nd gear and no smoke...Stationeary I gunned it at about 6k rpm and no smoke...One thing I noticed was the first times that i used water It consumed it in a two minute drive...I kinda got the feeling that my head gasket is done for and slowly going on it's way...I am hoping not!!!

Have you checked your water pump yet, as well as the coolant pipe on the back of the block. Maybe the O-Rings on that pipe are completely shot. It should not leak that much if that is the case, but we live in a mysterious world, lol.

Back