3-stage D15B VTEC problem

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

RobA6

hi,

I have my 4-door ef a 3-stage D15B swapped monthes ago but the vtec never works! I found that there is something wrong with the wiring as the second solinoid is not activated, and the first one is activated at about 4000rpm.
I think it's because of the vtec switch behind the instrument cluster which is taken from a 87-88 accord which i think it works with 2-stage vtec.
When you guys swapped 3-stage vtec engine on your cars, did you hook up with the vtec switch behind the instrument cluster ?
If yes, how?
If no, then how does the ecu know when it should activate the solinoids?

Many thanks,
Rob

There is no "VTEC switch behind the instrument cluster". On some VX models, there's an upshift light. That's the only thing I think you can be referring to. But that doesn't control VTEC. You need the JDM P2J ECU. It's pretty rare because no one bothers to import it. If you use an HX ECU, you'll have the first two stages of VTEC (12 valve and 16 valve mode), but no 3rd stage (high cam). If you use an EX ECU, you will never get into 16 valve mode but you can send the first VTEC solenoid ignition power (12V whenever the key is on) so that you'll be locked into 16 valve mode and the ECU can active the high cam. This will be less than ideal but it will work. Note that the VTEC crossovers of the 3 stage VTEC don't coincide exactly with the HX and EX respectively. For instance, the 3rd stage activates several hundred RPM later than the D16Y8's VTEC. I run my 3 stage VTEC using an AEM EMS.

idk how the whole thing works cause i actually did this swap a couple months ago into my 99 civic ex and he motor is a jdm from a rght hand drive car and im using a left driver intake manifold so i had to disconnect one of the stages and mine kicks in about 5500rpm but i havent had to connect anything behind the cluster or anything

and im also using my stock ecu from my d16y8 but i had a honda dealership hook that up for me

Back