30 spline vs 32 spline axles

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

64van

Brand new to this site, hope someone can help me. My drive line is '92 JDM Civic VTEC B16A 5 spd. It has 30 spline axles. I doing a non Honda swap and the conversion axles have 32 splines. Can someone tell me what Hondas have 32 spline axles?

is that the actual spline count or diameter? I know that all Hondas I've worked on (88-00 Civic, 90-95 Accords, and 90-01 Integras) use either a 32mm or 36mm axle nut, with the 32mm being the most common.I forgot what axle nut the 88-91 HF/Std axles use, but it has a smaller diameter spline and spline count than the regular axles. Maybe this is the "30-spline" you're talking about?

Last edited:
Sorry I wasn't more specific. This is the inner end of the axle where the tripod, or trunnion, fits, the inner CV joint. The two axles have different diameters as well as spline count. I don't have the exact measurements at hand but it is about 2-3 mm difference. Maybe my quest should be for the correct inner CV joint, or if possible, just a different tripod, if the CV pot is the same. It seems impossible to source inner CVs alone. The entire axle assembly is usually the only choice.

What is the exact issue you're running into(what axles, what engine/transmission, and what car)?

Are you using the correct axles for the swap(ie; Integra axles and halfshaft), if it's a swap?

I'm swapping the VTEC unit into a Classic Mini. The exact issue is the tripod or trunnion on the inside CVs from my donor power unit have 30 splines, and are a couple of mm smaller than the 32 spline axles I have for the conversion. I realize most often the whole driveshaft is exchanged, inner and outer CVs included. Because of this most people I've contacted have no idea there are different axles diameters. I'm trying to find out which cars, or drive units, normally have the larger diameter 32 spline axles, and that will give me a source for the inner CVs, or maybe just the tripods.

Back