300ZX Twin Turbo

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

endlesszeal

I saw a great 92' 300ZX TT for sale for 6500 w/128k and its an auto. I was wondering if the auto tranny can hold up to 500 crank hp? Because if it can't, i dont want to waste the sellers and my time driving 200 miles to see the car.
Ive been looking for a Z for 3 years and I just want one really bad. I don't plain on modding it much except for filter, exhaust, intercooler, and retuned chip. Im looking in the 400whp range. Hopefully that will get me into the mid 12s.
I want an auto because sometimes i get really lazy and just prefer an auto over a manual. If was to purchase a car for more than daily driving, i would definately get a stick.

auto sucks

you will not get your moneys worth according to the grin on your face meter...

if you want a performance car then stick with performance gearing...

autos are for girls...

Originally posted by endlesszeal@Oct 18 2004, 03:40 PM
I saw a great 92' 300ZX TT for sale for 6500 w/128k and its an auto.  I was wondering if the auto tranny can hold up to 500 crank hp? Because if it can't, i dont want to waste the sellers and my time driving 200 miles to see the car.
Ive been looking for a Z for 3 years and I just want one really bad.  I don't plain on modding it much except for filter, exhaust, intercooler, and retuned chip.  Im looking in the 400whp range.  Hopefully that will get me into the mid 12s. 
I want an auto because sometimes i get really lazy and just prefer an auto over a manual.  If was to purchase a car for more than daily driving, i would definately get a stick.
[post=404265]Quoted post[/post]​

My friends 300z makes 408 whp and runs 12.8 ish with big ass 18's. . . .auto tranny

Originally posted by reckedracing@Oct 18 2004, 03:44 PM
auto sucks

autos are for girls...
[post=404267]Quoted post[/post]​

What a dumbass

Turbo Auto cars tend to be faster then 5/6 speed auto cars
also most cars that run under 9 secs go into a auto/semi auto tranny setup

Check out some videos of Turbo SC300s dem auto cars sure as hell seem slow!

Originally posted by jeffie7@Oct 18 2004, 08:39 PM

Check out some videos of Turbo SC300s dem auto cars sure as hell seem slow!
[post=404419]Quoted post[/post]​

I agree.

My friend has a 1987 Supra - its best run with him driving was 10.6 @ 127.

It uses an automatic chevy 350 tranny.

Originally posted by reckedracing@Oct 18 2004, 03:44 PM
auto sucks

autos are for girls...
[post=404267]Quoted post[/post]​

You need to do some research before you give lip or you going to get dick slapped. Most if not all supercars and sport exotics now a day use clutchless transmissions. Given they are still manual sort of, they resemble an automatic more.
Anyway, I did some "goolging" and its been saying that most turbo cars can build boost of the launch and keep boost while the tranny is shifting. However, I really havent found anything reliable info about the dependibilty of the turbo Z trannies. The N/As are said to be worthless and the early 90 turbo Z tranny brakes down every 50k.
If anyone has more info or corrections, feel free to ad one.

P.S. I would get a manual tranny but im lazy and dont see many road courses /or autoX.

You need to do some research before you give lip or you going to get dick slapped. Most if not all supercars and sport exotics now a day use clutchless transmissions. Given they are still manual sort of, they resemble an automatic more.

no, clutchless does not equal automatic... automatic = automatically selected gearing, vs manual selected gears...
no, they do not resemble automatics...

just because you don;t push in a clutch pedal it doesn;t mean you are not MANUALLY selecting which gear you would like to be in...

and to everyone else... if your idea of going for a good performance ride consists of getting in an auto and either pressing the gas or the brake, well then i have nothing else to say to you... get a fucking go cart or some shit...

reread what i wrote, i never said stick was faster, or better for the quarter, all i'm saying is that stick is more fun to drive, and if i'm dropping 1K to 100K on a fucking car it better be fun to drive... if i wanted to gas-brake it i would get a golf cart...

What a dumbass

notice how i said grin on your face meter, and not a time slip???

:fuckyou3:

and i still think autos are for lazy pussies...
enjoy mashing the gas all day long, sure seems like a good time to me

its just for daily driving...not every car in the universe needs to be a stick. there are times when i wish i had an auto car (different ofcourse), just because im either eating, or have people in the car whom im talking to. go say that to all the muscle car guys out there....

just because im either eating, or have people in the car whom im talking to.

well, decide...

are you DRIVING, or are you eating, talking,

buying a 300zx twin turbo with auto, is like buying a vette with an auto trans, or viper, or ferrari, or porsche...

if you want an auto get something that people won;t laugh at you when they find out you have an auto and just have a stick shifter boot over your auto shifter to hide your true pussyness

Originally posted by Seany-izzle@Oct 19 2004, 01:09 PM
its just for daily driving...not every car in the universe needs to be a stick. there are times when i wish i had an auto car (different ofcourse), just because im either eating, or have people in the car whom im talking to. go say that to all the muscle car guys out there....
[post=404754]Quoted post[/post]​

everyone knows that's what knees are for. true happiness is eating a cheeseburger on the 3-2 downshift

I would never buy an auto car unless it was to suit the needs of the girl or something, and then it would be her car. I don't even like driving a friends car if it's automatic.

All I'm saying is get a stick, wait till you're not moving or cruising to eat or talk. Your stomach can hold it and so can the person on the phone.

edit**
There is only one reason I would perfer an auto...can you guess what it is. Shifting with someone in the way is a bitch.

Originally posted by 92civicb18b1@Oct 19 2004, 02:00 PM
I would never buy an auto car unless it was to suit the needs of the girl or something, and then it would be her car. I don't even like driving a friends car if it's automatic.

All I'm saying is get a stick, wait till you're not moving or cruising to eat or talk. Your stomach can hold it and so can the person on the phone.

edit**
There is only one reason I would perfer an auto...can you guess what it is. Shifting with someone in the way is a bitch.
[post=404783]Quoted post[/post]​

Honestly, eventhough the fastest Supras and such are all auto - i still want the 6spd . . . . nothin like rippin gears on a monster like that.

ROAD HEAD

correct, your prize can be redeemed at the checkout counter with the purchase of a nice used LS engine that I have.

Your prize is a coupon for 99 cents off your next purchase from 92civicb18b1 which will be included in your shipment.

Anyway, I contimplated about auto vs 5/6 speed, and if i was trying to run 8s or lower the auto would be my choice otherwise i would take a manual trans for daily driving, auto-x and any other type of racing that may come into play unless I had some 900 hp 8 second drag supra.

Wow, auto trannies are good in a straight line....who cares?!?!

I'm with the manual crowd. Manual = fun to drive.

It also forces you to pay more attention to your driving. When I'm driving I'm driving, never talking on the phone, or eating, or doing anything else but watching the road. Proabably why I've never had an accident or ticket -_-

no accident or ticket either, but i do all of the above. :)

autos are more consistent at the track and can be faster than manuals if they are built properly, but the main reason he said he was looking into auto was because he was lazy. in that case i say get a manual because i think it is worth the fun factor, and if you decided to mod it to 400 hp, i think you're going to regret being stuck with an auto and not choosing where your revs are at.

no, clutchless does not equal automatic... automatic = automatically selected gearing, vs manual selected gears...
no, they do not resemble automatics...

just because you don;t push in a clutch pedal it doesn;t mean you are not MANUALLY selecting which gear you would like to be in...

Some automatics let you have the "sport shift" which allows you to select your own gears, does that mean its not an automatic anymore?
Anyway, the "auto-mated" manual transmissions actually resemble both. The tranny doesnt have a torque convertor, but a clutch. However, the clutch is automatically depressed by sensors and computers. But I still think its more related to automatics because you dont do squat except tap the "paddles" much like a "automatic sport shifter."

Moving on, an automatic is much easier to drive in heavy traffic and constantly shifting. I hope you go to S.F. with a race clutch and die in traffic and roll down those hills.

Ive done my research. A 300ZX with 500hp is going to be VERY hard to drive if its a stick because not many people make parts for them. Thus, not many streetable clutches are avaliable except one. Cusco finally provided one that is somewhat liveable and gives excellent performance. And given that its Cusco, its a bit pricey. So for me, if the turbo Z tranny can hold up to 500hp, then it would be more livable and more afforable unless i want to do heavy racing then i would need a mucho dinero torque convertor.

Besides, how many rich people actually buy vipers, porches, ferraris, etc and race them????????? i say less than 30%.

All i got to say is, its for daily driving and barely track use. Am i really going to use all that 500hp, have safe room to do it, and actually get to run through the gears? If i wanted to track bitch, definately getting a stick, but its not and so an auto suits me fine.

I owned a Porsche and I tracked it as much as possible as well as many many 944 owners. I'm not saying your wrong.

I know when I bought the Porsche I completely overlooked any automatic ones because they were made to go around turns, the auto trannies slowed you down so much it wasn't even a good track car and made it completely worthless.

If it's a daily driver then why do you need 3, 4 or 500 HP especially if you're never going to take it to the track or strip or whatever. I wouldn't even bother doing a swap in the civic if I was only going to drive it on the street unless something went wrong and for some reason it was cheaper to use a b series (in my dreams).

My point is if it's a daily driver just keep it stock, if its a show car keep it show, if it's a race car keep it a race car. There's no reason to have a car modified to race on the street if it never actually races.

Back