300ZX Twin Turbo

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Originally posted by reckedracing@Oct 19 2004, 01:31 PM
just because im either eating, or have people in the car whom im talking to.

well, decide...

are you DRIVING, or are you eating, talking,

buying a 300zx twin turbo with auto, is like buying a vette with an auto trans, or viper, or ferrari, or porsche...

if you want an auto get something that people won;t laugh at you when they find out you have an auto and just have a stick shifter boot over your auto shifter to hide your true pussyness
[post=404765]Quoted post[/post]​

Most vettes are auto, I believe one or two years actually werent available in stick.

Like i said, its going to very lightly modified with an ECU, exhaust, intake, and maybe an intercooler upgrade.
Zs, much like Supras, make a lot of power with very few upgrades. Also with these upgrades, it would be more effiecent as power wise and gas mileage wise.
If it is so easy to get more for a little more, why not? Its not like im upgrading to a pair TDOH 20G where it takes extensive mods to fit. Keeping plain, simple, and efficient.

P.S. If I do decide to do more than juse the basics, the tranny can be replaced for $2500 give than the auto one calls it quits first.

Originally posted by 92civicb18b1@Oct 19 2004, 02:00 PM
I would never buy an auto car unless it was to suit the needs of the girl or something, and then it would be her car. I don't even like driving a friends car if it's automatic.

All I'm saying is get a stick, wait till you're not moving or cruising to eat or talk. Your stomach can hold it and so can the person on the phone.

edit**
There is only one reason I would perfer an auto...can you guess what it is. Shifting with someone in the way is a bitch.
[post=404783]Quoted post[/post]​

n00b! amateur!

<---Can eat while driving, talk on the cell phone, play with the radio, shift, play with the girlfriend, have her play with me....or a combination of all those. I've had to pick up the phone before while getting road head, shift, lower the radio so I could hear on the phone, switch lanes and shit...

needless to say my girlfriend jokes about me being a good 'multitasker'

as for auto vs manual. you probably can find a cheaper auto one since thats not the kind of car that most people would want an auto in...so savings for you. downside is in the long run its probably to cost more in gas but upside is that it'll be easy to drive and if you're among the 90% of retards who thinks they know how to drive manual but cant shift or drive for shit...get the auto.

lol, i can be multi tasked but i choose not too when I don't have too.

I read your post wrong, I thought your were going to go crazy on modifying it.

Anyway, the "auto-mated" manual transmissions actually resemble both. The tranny doesnt have a torque convertor, but a clutch. However, the clutch is automatically depressed by sensors and computers. But I still think its more related to automatics because you dont do squat except tap the "paddles" much like a "automatic sport shifter."

lol ok you've done your research eh captain? just because you don't press a clutch in, the transmission automatically becomes automatic?

quite the opposite in fact, the auotmatic transmission doesn't work on the same principles as the manual transmission- If there is a clutch and shift forks than it's a manual transmission. Even if the car shifts that manual transmission, the components in it most resemble those of a manual car.

The key difference between a manual and an automatic transmission is that the manual transmission locks and unlocks different sets of gears to the output shaft to achieve the various gear ratios, while in an automatic transmission, the same set of gears produces all of the different gear ratios. The planetary gearset is the device that makes this possible in an automatic transmission.

manual = helical (or straight cut) gears
automatic = planetary gears

BIG DIFFERENCE HOMIE

My bad. I forgot about the gear sets. It is true that manuals have different set of gears for each gear ratio you select and that automatics have a planetary gear that is used for all the gear ratios. But, the way those BMW SMG function, it is very similar to an auto. It helps you select gears, double clutch, and downshifts for you depending on the variables. Also, its setup like an automatic where there is no clutch pedal and you dont do anything except "tap." The difference is that there is still a clutch and it uses multiple gears instead of a planetary gear system, but retains the function of a automatic. Thats why I say it is sort of both. Its up to the person to decide if its one or the either.

That aside. The car has been sold and thats that. I guess I can look around a bit. Im still leaning towards an auto, but if i encounter a manual that is too good to pass up or vice versa, im going to pick it up.

sources: http://www.germancarfans.com/News.cfm?NewsID=2020324.001

Originally posted by Slammed90Lude@Oct 20 2004, 03:54 PM
manual = helical (or straight cut) gears
automatic = planetary gears
[post=405272]Quoted post[/post]​

helical gears don't have straight cut teeth.

1-5 on 5 speed gear boxes are helical and reverse is a straight cut gear, hence why you get that whine when going in reverse.

Back