3d printer

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Would the plastic hold up to the temps? also how much did that printer run you?

I built the printer, cost was under $450.

Temps vary based on material, PLA is about 220C, ABS is about 240C, and nylon is about 250C. I don't know if it'd survive an engine bay, but I can print something and try it in my car.

Last edited:
Plans were free. It's a derivative of the reprap project. I'll post pictures of everything once I get to building it.

I'm going to continue with the mendel prusa i2, then see how that works. But I'll be building a "mendel 90" (http://reprap.org/wiki/Mendel90) once I get this one together.

Once I get up and going, I'll see how much it'll cost me to print the parts, then I might be able to offer a couple sets of plastic parts here for sale to members (as long as that doesn't breach the TOS, I don't think I remember seeing anything about that in there.)

Got all the Prusa Mendel i2 frame parts today, received the hot-end on Saturday.

Waiting on the electronics and belts now.

So, at about 1am this morning, I discovered one of my A4988 stepper controllers is bad. I've contacted the eBay seller, and he's shipping me a new one from China, but that means it's 3+ days away. :(

It's completely assembled, three functional axis work, and the software is calibrated. It's going to be kinda fun once I get everything going. I think I'll be using my raspberry pi as a "print server" so I can just send stuff to it and let it chug along.

I'm still waiting on the print bed heater, and I just discovered that I need some borosilicate glass too, because ordinary glass is going to crack with the repeated heat/cool cycles. Oh well.

Total price is somewhere around $460 now, and I've still gotta get the glass, probably another $20.

Video and pictures forthcoming.

1005730_10201093929142893_1369141661_n.jpg

And here's the problem stepper driver when on the Z-Axis, it's most visible on the Z.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_N6UleHelbo

looks cool. I can't wait to see it in operation. on another note. are there plans available to build something like this or is this a one off special?

thank you both. I have been interested in learning cad and building custom parts for my many projects and this looks like an option i might be able to afford sooner than one of the pre-built systems

Don't let it fool you into thinking there's a cheap way into 3d printing. I spent the MINIMUM I possibly could on this, and I'm still $500 into it. If I were to do it over again, I'd build a delta 3d printer. I've learned so much over the past month that I now wouldn't buy anything else. For as much as I've spent, I could have pitched in an extra two hundred and gotten something turnkey.

There's a reason commercial printers don't move the print bed at all, keep that in mind when you decide what you want to build.

My next printer is going to be a Delta type printer, because the errors aren't additive, they're averaged. It'll wind up producing much more accurate prints for a lot less work.

OpenBeam Kossel Pro - A new type of 3D Printer by Terence Tam -- Kickstarter
^^ There's a good example.

That is a nice set up. What are the requirements. on stepper motor. i can get used ones for free.

Thanks.
When my internet gets hooked up i will check it out. browsing on my phone sucks

Back