3stage vtec in 1997 civic EX, how to connect?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

thecca

Hi, I just swapped an d15b with stage 3 vtec, but the guys that did the sway had to put my older intake in it and the older vtec solenoid because there was 2 solenoid

The vtec isn't opening when my car is at 6000... it's a weird sound, like if the motor wasn't sure if he had to open the vtec or not

Anyways, I think I have to put the original 2 solenoid in it so it can fully work..... Right now I can't even enjoy my ride, my acceleration is stopping at 6k rpm...

Does anyone knows the solution?

Thanks

wait, what?
can someone point me in the right direction to learn about different stage vtecs??

D15B 1.5l SOHC VTEC

Theses motors have a 3 stave vtec

From 0 to 3000rpm they run on 12v, 3k to 6k they run on 16 and passed 6 they full vtec opens ..

But the thing is, the motor got 2 solenoid, and my oem motor only had one, so there was a wire missing to connect the second... So the guy put the older solenoid instead (the single one)

But my problem is, the vtec is not engaging correctly, it's like if the ECU or something is not quiet sure about engaging the vtec or not..

I'm pretty tired of dealing with theses problems... Anyone knows a solution? thanks

I will read the page later, it could be something as simple as the solenoids being dirty? pressure not reaching one of them cause of that? its hard for me to say, so I will let someone else bother with this one.

It's physically impossible to replace the dual solenoid with a single solenoid. The solenoid isn't on the intake manifold, it's on the head. So he would have had to replace your whole head.

It sounds like they're lying to you. You have a regular SOHC VTEC motor and the VTEC isn't wired up properly. That will cause the engine to fall flat on it's face in the high RPM when it should be going into VTEC. Check which ECU you have, find out what motor you really have, maybe snap a pic, and then I'll see if I can help you.

Check my site for more info and pics on the 3 Stage VTEC.

dual_solenoid_head.jpg

Here you can see the head with the dual solenoid removed. No single solenoid can fit that!

dual_solenoid.jpg

Here's a pic of the dual solenoid.

SuspendHatch; can you help me out i am having trouble too with the D15b 3 stage vtec swap that i did. the engine is cam from CVT (ecu also auto) no cel/codes car is running but having prob with idling and gas mileage is not good. maybe you can help me out.. used my manual tranny in this swap. thanks

Since it's from an auto car you will need to get an intake manifold and throttle body from a manual transmission car in order to use it with a manual trans ECU. It's the same case as with the D16Y8.

You can use an intake manifold from a 96-00 HX (D16Y5) or a 99-00 D16Y8. They are identical to the 3 stage VTEC because they have EGR.

This thread is over a year old and the last post was in april.. Needs locked and i cannot do so..

:locked:

This thread is over a year old and the last post was in april.. Needs locked and i cannot do so..

:locked:

I've never understood the hostility to old threads. Whether the OP asked the question yesterday or a year ago doesn't matter. It's the same engine and the information doesn't change. Someone has questions that are closely related and they posted due to finding this thread in a SEARCH. I don't see any reason to start another.

This is the third time this has happened to me in recent memory due to this being a very slow moving site.

thanks suspendedHatch for the info... the ecu is also auto ecu, do i need to replace it to with an manual ecu? i am not having any codes. can i just replace the IM from a manual tranny, and the VTEC can work already?

Back