4-1 header or 4-2-1 header?

which would you get 4-1 or 4-2-1 header?

• Total voters

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

mrnice1058

tell me why you chose what you chose i need to know which is better for my b16 engine thanks guys

everyone recommends the jdm itr 4-1 header. I believe they say it's because you gain more power at the top of the rpm range, where the B16 already shines anyway.

i'm tires so if i mess this up then sorry, but I think as i said 4-1 header gains power in the higher rpm band where as a 4.2.1 gains torque in the midrange which would be better for a b18c1.

The JDM ITR header is a alright header, but it is far from being great. One, its not a 2.5inch collector. Gains are not even that big. There are other brands of headers for the same price that offer bigger gains. Hell even the POS brand DC sport "JDM 2.5 inch" header makes bigger gains then the JDM ITR. There are also brands out there that make exact replicas of high end off the shelf headers like spoon, and mugen for around 300, plus they don't rust like the JDM ITR one does. Only plus about it that I see is you can buy the fastline Skid plate for the ITR header and according to E, it works great.

you also gotta think about clearance. you EG/sol guys dont have to worry about clearance. theres almost enough space for you to stand in there with an engine already in there, lol. its a big issue for us EF/ED guys. the jdm typr r header fits the closest to the motor, and has the best ground clearance of any 4-1 header (minus the an-r and bisimoto headers and such). and the skid plate is a big plus too :) my .02

Originally posted by asmallsol@Sep 6 2004, 03:47 PM
The JDM ITR header is a alright header, but it is far from being great. One, its not a 2.5inch collector. Gains are not even that big. There are other brands of headers for the same price that offer bigger gains. Hell even the POS brand DC sport "JDM 2.5 inch" header makes bigger gains then the JDM ITR. There are also brands out there that make exact replicas of high end off the shelf headers like spoon, and mugen for around 300, plus they don't rust like the JDM ITR one does. Only plus about it that I see is you can buy the fastline Skid plate for the ITR header and according to E, it works great.
[post=386684]Quoted post[/post]​

Well how is that comparison fair to the jdm itr, since it's nothing more than a stock 4-1 piece. Comparing stock to aftermarket seems kind of pointless when you call the aftermarket piece a POS in your arguement.

What is the collector on the jdm itr? I thought it was a 2.5"?

I went with the JDM ITR becuase...

I only paid 150 for it... not to mention its painted black... so it wont rust...

Originally posted by revolution8k+Sep 6 2004, 04:23 PM-->
asmallsol
@Sep 6 2004, 03:47 PM
[post=386684]Quoted post[/post]​

Well how is that comparison fair to the jdm itr, since it's nothing more than a stock 4-1 piece. Comparing stock to aftermarket seems kind of pointless when you call the aftermarket piece a POS in your arguement.

What is the collector on the jdm itr? I thought it was a 2.5"?
[post=386717]Quoted post[/post]​

if its nothing more than a stock piece, why did you recommend it in the first place then? its overpriced and overrated. asmallsol is correct, the jdm dc makes better power than the oem one, and has a true 2.5" collector. the collector on the jdm itr is more like 2.25" with a 2.5" doughnut, but the collector is not really a 2.5" as where the dc one is. i have the dc jdm 4-1 and yes it is a piece of shit, when you compare it to other headers out there in the industry.

i chose 4-1; but there are quite a few 4-2-1 custom headers out there that kick ass also, those with long runners.

I recommended it as a stock piece, I never recommended it as the best ever 4-1 header. However, 3 or 4 months ago when I asked this very same question, none of this discussion was never brought up. All anyone ever said was "just get hte jdm itr 4-1 header from hmo.com" and that was that.

thanks for all your help but here is the think i was talking about my car the other day and this kid was saying there is no way in hell that a b16 with 111 ft tq is going to ever beat his sentra spec v so i was wondering if i get a 4-2-1 header like the one that dc makes would i gain a noticable amount of torque or am i better getting the high end power with a 4-1 because i have a jdm header because i got mine from japan(from my cousin in the military stationed in japan) and it has japanense writing on it so you think i should stick with the one i have or go with a say dc(or dc clone) header 4-2-1 for more torque or shine at the top end thanks guys

The Sentra Spec V is just as quick as an 00 Si. It has less torque, correct, but it also has less weight than the V, and a nice long powerband which is something the V doesn't have either.

Edit: btw b16 thanks for hte headsup here on what would be a better power per dollar deal for him, I'll keep this in mind next time someone asks the same question... in about 3 days from now. :p

so you telling me that with my b16 i will be able to take him on? by the way i think i am a good driver because on my d16 i was able to get 15.89 and i was close to him the whole way

Specs of the 98 spec ITR 4-1 headers

donut gasket: .5 inch of gasket all around the pipe
pipe diameter in the center 2.33 inches (60mm)
Total diameter of entire gasket and pipe assembly 3.33 inches

They lie about the 2.5" Everything as far as exhaust on the CTR or ITR is all 60mm

And yep they rust like a biotch ... my dipstick even has rust on it...

but they are nice and would never get rid of them

Originally posted by mrnice1058+Sep 7 2004, 11:11 PM-->
so you telling me that with my b16 i will be able to take him on? by the way i think i am a good driver because on my d16 i was able to get 15.89 and i was close to him the whole way
[post=387309]Quoted post[/post]​

I don't think you'll have a problem with him.

KloggMonkey
@Sep 11 2004, 12:40 AM
And yep they rust like a biotch ... my dipstick even has rust on it...
[post=388856]Quoted post[/post]​

next time put oil in your car before you drive it then :thumbsup:

:p

Originally posted by GSRCRXsi@Sep 6 2004, 06:18 PM
you also gotta think about clearance. you EG/sol guys dont have to worry about clearance. theres almost enough space for you to stand in there with an engine already in there, lol. its a big issue for us EF/ED guys. the jdm typr r header fits the closest to the motor, and has the best ground clearance of any 4-1 header (minus the an-r and bisimoto headers and such). and the skid plate is a big plus too :) my .02
[post=386693]Quoted post[/post]​

bah, tbone has an itr set up in his crx, and has run just about every header on the market- including SMSP and all ther other stupid large headers.

theres room.

but yes, 4-1 is the way to go IMO. its where hondas make their power anyway

what front crossmemnber is he running? stock or jimfab wont provide enough room. if its all hacked to hell or running the very nice full-race bar then id believe it. im gonna get the full-race bar when i get the cash. its the best crosmember out there right now. supposed to be the strongest and gives a lot of needed clearance for the EF/ED guys

Back