4 doors, some mods, and a track

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Neons..... only if its an ACR or an R/T otherwise you are losing a lot of time effort and money, Cel is right in that it is a toss up, I have had to work on a few and they REALLY like to lose head gaskets. Maybe its just the ones around here, but still....

VW..... NO! that is all

Saturn.... this is going to sound kind of stupid, but drive one of the older SL2s, with a 5sp and you will laugh yourself to death at how they handle.... the cars weigh about the same as the others in the same class probably a little less, but the little 1.9 refuses to give up.... again its going to be what you make, just as the rest of these cars are.... the bad part about the saturns though is that your powerband is about 600 rpms wide...... NOT GOOD!

IMO, I'd go with the 90-93 Accord. Not the best for Auto-X, but it's really roomy, big trunk, and an H22 swap is very easy. You can even use your stock tranny to save money. Also, you can pick them up for under $2,000. Just my 2 cents...

because hondas suck, same and nissans, and toyotas are mostly in the suck as well (except the older ones), saturns are crap to work on and really shitty to own, neons are only worth owning if its an R/t or an ACR and even then they have to be a low miles car......

really you have to kind of prioritize your options here I mean 4door, power, weight, cost, and several other things like handling and comfort...... just something to think about

and sorry to kind of crap on the cars but its kind of the way it is.

Originally posted by Celerity@Aug 7 2005, 11:31 AM

As for the DSM referrence the DOHC motor is similar to the 4G63T, but it spins the opposite way. a DOHC Neon motor DOES swap into the hood of the SOHC ones.

-> Steve
[post=536905]Quoted post[/post]​

the 4g63t is nowhere near similar. it doesnt even mount up, which is why you dont see 4g63t powered neons :) the only neon ive seen with an even near reputable 420a is neonmike. :)

Here is some food for thought. You are looking to spend something like 3k. You want to auto x.. Why don't you look up the pro autocrossers of the late 80's / early 90's.. See what was dominating the field back then. If it isn't 4 door, get the 4 door version of it.

It'll at least give you a better idea of where to start.

Originally posted by SolPWR@Jul 18 2005, 01:50 PM
Accords seem like the obvious choice but you cant get one for $3000. I live in SC and hondas are worth more than their weight in gold. (ie. 92 Honda accord wagon, fair condition, 197,000 miles, 4cyl, $3900)

Nothing against you, but i stay away from mitsu. Too many horror stories. "Their fast when they run" -every mitsu owner.
[post=528032]Quoted post[/post]​

i drive a DSM and my car starts each and every time. Yup the one in the Sig. I love it. :)

Back