4 speed to 5 speed transmission

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

06busa

I am picking up a 91 hatchback with a 4 speed manual tranny. I have been reading a little bit about swapping out the 4 speed to a 5 speed. I haven't found a whole lot, but wanted to get some info from you guys to make sure I am on the right track. This has the 1.5 and I want to keep that motor as the car will be a commuter for now.

Any mods to change to 5 speed? Axles? etc

What type and year donor car for 5 speed?

Any information or links would be great..

thanks in advance

just change the fucker out. uses all the old shit. only problem is when its time for new axels, you will need to change the front hubs to a DX/Si, so you can use the 26 spline axles

If his axles wear out can't he just get replacement std axles?

Try to get a 89-91 crx or civic si tranny. You can use the dx or lx tranny but the gearing is slightly longer. If you use an 88 tranny you will have to get its flywheel and a clutch for an 88. You might need a flywheel with an 89 tranny, but research this. The info on trannies is out there. Look for dx to si tranny swaps, this should give you the proper flywheel and clutch info. Its been years since I have done a tranny swap so I can't remember the specifics.

Back