40mm vs. 38mm tial wastegate

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

R.E.Developement

Import King of Irvington
i wanted to know wat is the difference between the 38mm and the 40mm tial wastegate when u can just change the spring inside?
pleas give me some good details.

tial used to serve 35, 40 and 46 gates

they have since changes their line to 38, 44 and 48 i think it it is.. im not sure.

but basically, the 38 is a 2-bolt flange, and the 40 is a 4-bolt flange.

Now, spring pressure doesn't have much to do with the physical size of the unit. If you have more gases to bleed off (like most hondas do, running a big turbo running moderate boost) the larger gate will allow them to escape faster avoiding the chance of spikes.
small turbos running big boost (like a dsm) don't need as big of a waste gate, as theres less to bleed off.

Originally posted by beerbongskickass@Nov 23 2004, 11:54 PM
40 - 38 = 2

Glad I could help. ;)
[post=421497]Quoted post[/post]​

LMAO silly ass

oh ok i get u. Now. i have a standard HKS 40mm wastegate and i dont know what size spring is im there and i have a mandule bent manifold with a 35 mm flange on there. do u think its worth it to cut the flange off and use the HKS wastegate and buy a spring instead of buying a 38mm wastegate? im looking to run between 10 and 17.

by the way this is for a simple stock gsr setupplaning to run 450dsm ingectors, 255 in tank fuel pumpt3/t4 57 trim turborunning AEM or Hondata orsomething but thats another question for later.

35 and 38's use the exact same flange.
im not sure what HKS does, but there's a good chance their flange is not the same as a tial 40. im not sure. you're going to have to do some research on that. personally, i think there is no choice besides tial when it comes to wg's and bovs. so personally, i'd dump the hks and pick up a tial 38

:hmm:

do u think i would run into the boost spike problem if i m runing like up to 18 psi with my setup and the 38mm tial wastegate cause like u said the bigger, then least the change of me having boost spike in the future causethe HKS wastegateis 40mm and i may wanna get a 60-1 turbo

depends on how much boost you want to run.

the spring is the lowest you cna possibly go... so keep that in mind.
a boost controll is generally good for just about double and change over the spring.

common are 5 and 7 psi springs.
i have... errr, had an 11 pound spring in mine.
big power gusy ave 14 or 17 psi springs

ok now since i go that down pack now i want to think about fuel management
the setup is as follows:

gsr motor with port flow srings and retainers with ctr cams,
JG intake manifold with hondata intake manifold gasket,
stock botom with gsr trans with act 6 puck disc and heavy duty pressure plate, quafe diff
450cc dsm injectors
255psi intank fuel pump
turbo:t3/t4 57 trim for now wanting about in between 275- 350 hp to the wheels

i heard of this uberdata thing and it seems kind of unstable wat do u think about it? or should i just go with a AEM or Hondata system?

word to the cams. those are all motor profiles.
throw some stock gsr cams in there and sell me the ctr's :)

450's won't support the goal your after.
Jeffie topped his out on his b16 at about 230whp at stock low 40's rail pressure.

Personally, i'd go with hondata (in fact, i have a complete setup with a laptop, burners, etc for sale, see sig :p ). More people know how to use it than any other system. If you're on a tight budget, go for the uberdata. Frankly, i think you're looking to go a little "better" than that. (I can see beerbongkicksass's reply already... lol) the aem is kinda over kill for what you are going for IMO, and its harder to get right out of the box.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Nov 24 2004, 09:04 AM
word to the cams. those are all motor profiles.
throw some stock gsr cams in there and sell me the ctr's :)

450's won't support the goal your after.
Jeffie topped his out on his b16 at about 230whp at stock low 40's rail pressure.

Personally, i'd go with hondata (in fact, i have a complete setup with a laptop, burners, etc for sale, see sig :p ). More people know how to use it than any other system. If you're on a tight budget, go for the uberdata. Frankly, i think you're looking to go a little "better" than that. (I can see beerbongkicksass's reply already... lol) the aem is kinda over kill for what you are going for IMO, and its harder to get right out of the box.
[post=421641]Quoted post[/post]​

Uberdata is great. Unless you're doing nitrous or are terrified of soldering and writing your own maps, I see no need to use Hondata. There are many reputable tuners out there as well.

I just had to beat BBKA to it.

ok now sinse i pretty much know what to do now, how much do u think i can sell my HKS 40mm wastegate it was used on my friends car for about 4 months and now i want to sell it.

is it just me, or does anyone else think he's crazy for wanting to run 17-18 psi on a stock gsr bottom end?

psi doesn't break motors, bad tuning and too much horsepower does.

moreso, he'll realize that once he hits 300, he'll be stupid happy.

Thats damn right. if u tune it well he can get even up to 450 if he want, but it is still a risk. ive seen it done. :)

i think that if u want to use the HKS wastegate u should buy another manifold and use the hks flange on it just to try it. it would cost u about 165 or just put it on the manifold u have already. its a 40mm which i think is about even with the 40mm tial wastgate. u can correct me if im wrong. :D

Back