4g63 swap

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

hey

I would use a fwd trans all the dsm trans are weak only if you beat the shit out of them. Other than that I never had a problem with them. Down the road you can send it out and get it built by shep. And for the wiring get a 1g wiring and ecu all you would need is to wire it up to you gage cluster/ speed o. Right now I am working on a 99spyder that was converted to awd One day I might do the same sawp.

hey

Mount should not be that hard. Just your wiring and one more thing you need to look into what axles you can use or you going to have to make your own.

Hey for your wiring on the fuel pump and all that, why dont you give em their own power supply? Like hookin up a tach in anything without an ecu. just wire it to an accesory port on the fuse block. that way its only gettin power when the keys on. or run a jumper right off the battery to a switch in the dash. i dont know what youve already thought of, but im just tryin to chip in ideas for you, good luck and if you get it done id like to see it, ur not to far from me.

i can get a walbro 255 fuel pump for civic and use current ignition to send power to pump. . . but would current starter wiring for civic work for a dsm starter? i know the wires are the same, positive wire feed with built in starter solenoid and that small little wire.

axles are 375 shipped from raxles...but i was talkin to a guy who did this swap and he said between dsm axles and civic axles he pieced them together to get it to work. he said lengths were same but he had to use the small hub side of axle on dsm axle....

some experimenting of course... im about to score 2 awd trannys and 1 long block, 2 harness for free ::FREEBIE::

Sounds like it's going to be a badass swap. Keep us updated on here man I'll definitely be checking this out.

If theres only two posts on the start I dont see why it wouldnt work. If theres 3 (like on some GM starters) then im not sure if any combination would work. Just one more step I'ld take, find out how much power is put to the starter when you crank it for DSM's and then for Civics. Maybe there wont be enough voltage to run the DSM starter correctly. But, I dont know anything about DSM's so maybe they're the same, lol.

i just talked to my friend who's currenly building up his 4G63 6-bolt. he just bought a long block built from Slow Boy Racing in all stage 3! 8.5:1 compression. it's fuckin INSANE. goal is 500whp, or where ever 30lbs of boost gets him :D. i'm predicting 650-700whp. the dude at slowboy racing that has the same setup has 650whp on 28lbs! ohhh i cant wait till this summer. gettin it tuned at AMS:ph34r:

but besides that. i asked him about the FWD tranny. he said the DSM fwd will hold up to 500hp. he'll be testing this, but not till his 1000 mile break in period is up. then he'll be going with a Shepard Racing fwd tranny. and then EVENTUALLY, when he rebuilds his old 4G63 that he removed, he's going to replace this new 4G63 and run an AWD in only rwd.

here's some pics of his brand new super clean race motor!

Attachments

• P1020001.JPG
    P1020001.JPG
    45.1 KB · Views: 451
  • P1020002.JPG
    P1020002.JPG
    32.6 KB · Views: 335
  • P1020003.JPG
    P1020003.JPG
    32.2 KB · Views: 326
  • P1020004.JPG
    P1020004.JPG
    33.8 KB · Views: 308
  • P1020006.JPG
    P1020006.JPG
    36.1 KB · Views: 321
  • P1020007.JPG
    P1020007.JPG
    32.7 KB · Views: 292
  • P1020008.JPG
    P1020008.JPG
    32.6 KB · Views: 310
  • P1020009.JPG
    P1020009.JPG
    32.6 KB · Views: 304
  • P1020010.JPG
    P1020010.JPG
    28.5 KB · Views: 320
  • P1020014.JPG
    P1020014.JPG
    31.1 KB · Views: 299
  • P1020021.JPG
    P1020021.JPG
    32.4 KB · Views: 352
  • P1020024.JPG
    P1020024.JPG
    34.9 KB · Views: 302
  • P1020033.JPG
    P1020033.JPG
    24.1 KB · Views: 305
Last edited:
i can get a walbro 255 fuel pump for civic and use current ignition to send power to pump. . . but would current starter wiring for civic work for a dsm starter? i know the wires are the same, positive wire feed with built in starter solenoid and that small little wire.

axles are 375 shipped from raxles...but i was talkin to a guy who did this swap and he said between dsm axles and civic axles he pieced them together to get it to work. he said lengths were same but he had to use the small hub side of axle on dsm axle....

some experimenting of course... im about to score 2 awd trannys and 1 long block, 2 harness for free ::FREEBIE::

i'm goin to his house tomarrow. i'll take a look at his starter and let you know for sure.

he's giving me his turbo for my civic! :D w000000t

thanks all for encouragement...lots of ppl seem to bash the idea of "ruining a civic with shitty motor" or wasting good motor on "shitty civic". i think its best of both worlds (minus awd but beggars cant be choosers)...

got some pics of car now yes ill throw em up...

currently talking to some local wiring gurus for advice and opinions on whole swap before i start... im really excited and got alot of the parts ready to go.

CIMG0685.jpg

CIMG0698.jpg

savethesohc.jpg

my old awd dsm w/ buschur 20g, fmic, 2g maf, evo9 inj, 255 fuel pump, 3" open downpipe.....FAST (and no pic is not of all above mods)
OH yea and a civic radiator thats zip tied in...sweet i know...lol garage built dsm gotta love it...still owned a z06 in kent in front of 200 ppl lmao
l_581e41bc73a496a3e199b560b6559807.jpg

what turbo are you gonna run with the motor? and as for people bashing this idea...they are just too close minded to repsect how much work, and fabrication a car like this will take, who cares if it is a mitsubishi motor in a honda body, that thing will f-ing fly by the time you are done with it. but eventually you should do the awd conversion

clean little car. i'll keep an eye out for you. i have a rhd sil-80.

nice job on the DSM. i love how you ran the pipes. ive seen some cluttered bays, that one looks great.

if you dropped your AC, think about getting the alternator relocation bracket to hide it on the back of the motor where the AC used to go.

they also make clear timing belt covers now.

sorry i actually didnt get to my friends house to look at his starter yet. let me know if your wiring guru's over there have figured it out or not. i think they're going to be very similar.

thanks, i wish i had a finished shot of engine bay... i did a wire tuck, and with 2g maf it looked way cleaner. i made fmic piping shortest route possible...i really love 4g63 motor, power is endless and their so strong..yes they have their lil mess ups but all in all its a well engineered and designed engine.

my goal is to get a Stock 4g63 in my car first...dont want to blow all my money on big turbos before it runs...i was REALLY impressed wiht my 20g last time... i might go 20g again but maybe td06 this time... but thats a minute down the road...

if any of you live in WA and go to kent street races on fri or sat lemme know... im always there

I go to kent once in a while. i'll take the nissan out when i get it done. my gf is buying a g37 next month and we'll definitely have to take that out.

Hey 253phantom,
I have been searching and searching and searching some more for this exact thread.

Wow, I thought I was the only one that wants to do this swap.

I own a beat up 91 awd talon with a mint 4g63 dropped in 6 months ago.. as much as i love launching at 5500 with the studderbox aand 20psi on my evo3 16g.

I just picked up a 97 civic hatch cx for next to nothing. in mint condition.

So you say raxles will make the shafts for you?

Are the mounts the same in an eg and ek?
If so Im gunna need highly detailed pictures and measurements from you. about the mounts and shafts.

When do you plan on going through with this?

I was thinking the best way to do it would be to use half of the civic harness(Lights and power).
And hack up a talon harness only for engine part of it.

And using mainly aftermarket guages.

What about the C.e.l??? No clue.

This swap has got to ge more popular and a fabricator should be making a complete kit for us.....
Sure it takes alot of fun out of it but it is also way less stressfull.... Oh well Haha.

Aaron

Last edited:
I love the 4g63 and there's nothing wrong with putting it into a honda. If it mounts up and you have axles made it doesn't sound super difficult. Wiring won't be too bad, as was said just cut up a DSM harness for pure engine management and feed into the Honda harness as you have to. Doesn't sound much different as I've had to look into to put any FI engine into my carbed 1st gen CRX.

You should just stick with FWD tranny for now while you research the rear delete on the AWD tranny. I'm not familiar with traverse mount AWD trannies, only the old longitudal Audi AWD trannies and those you could simply weld the output shaft to the rear tight :).

Especially if you're just running the motor stock, install it stock with FWD to get it running and wired and then rip it apart again for a better LSD tranny and add a turbo, etc.

Or fully strip the interior and get a cage built and install the engine in the rear of the hatch and make it AWD ;-).

Back