4th gen accord h22a vtec swap

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

accordsir187

hi i have a 1990 accord with an f22a1 non vtec engine i want to swap it for an h22a vtec will the obd1 ecu that is hooked up to the f22a1 engine when wired to the h22a vtec be able to tell the vtec when to kick in or do i need to get a vtec controller. or do i need to buy an obd1 p13 ecu. another question i have is my acccord is an f22a 5sp will it hurt the power output of the h22a vtec engine to bolt up my f22a1 manual transmission i was hoping to save some money by just buying the longblock without the transmission my transmission seems to be in great condition. my main concern is the vtec isue with the f22a1 accord ecu. and one more thing can anyone tell me where i can buy a manual tensioner conversion for an h22a vtec.

You don't need a VTEC controller, you just need to use the Prelude ECU and run some wires for VTEC.

And yes, you certainly can use the Accord transmission, although it's geared longer and it's not really ideal for an H22. If you want to get the most out of the motor then I'd go with the Prelude tranny.

yeah that answers most of my questions but

i still need to know where in the hell i can get the manual tensioner conversion for the h22a vtec thats another big issue and a taller gear ratio means higher top speed right

i have heard two different redlines

i have heard two different redlines for the stock 92-95 jdm h22a vtec the most common being 7200rpm and the other one 8200rpm which is not as common but 8200 is what im hoping to get. are one of these a misprint or are there two different versions

i still need to know where in the hell i can get the manual tensioner conversion for the h22a vtec thats another big issue and a taller gear ratio means higher top speed right

Yes, higher top speed, but at the cost of acceleration capabilities. The H22 gears aren't super short like a B16 transmission. You'd still have a decent top speed, but better acceleration than the Accord tranny.

f22a transmission in h22a engine

someone said on another thread that they the h22a will loose vtec sometimes with the f22a transmission because of the longer gears is this true or is that just bull sh*t i couldnt see how the gear ratio would affect the vtec because the ecu tells the vtec to kick in at a certian rpm no matter what right

f22a to h22a map sensor

i read on the sport compact car h22a swap guide something about having to get a 90-93 civic dx map sensor to avoid the prelude map sensor which has annoying emissions control settings i havent read this in any of the other 90-93 accord f22a1 to h22a vtec swap guides did the other guides leave this part out or is it just for certian year accords. the list of parts i need to make the engine work properly in my 90 accord grows everyday but my pockets arent getting fatter. lol

someone said on another thread that they the h22a will loose vtec sometimes with the f22a transmission because of the longer gears is this true or is that just bull sh*t i couldnt see how the gear ratio would affect the vtec because the ecu tells the vtec to kick in at a certian rpm no matter what right

Yeah, that is something to consider. The Accord transmission has a longer final drive than the H22 Prelude tranny, so it's possible that it may drop you back down below VTEC rpms when you shift, where as the Prelude tranny would do a better job of keeping you there.

As far as the other question about the map sensor, I have no idea. I've never heard that before either.

hey brutalb83 ive got a question for you

did you do an h22a swap in your 90 accord and if so what did you use for the map sensor

Actually no, I've never done this swap myself. I had a friend who did though, so that's how I know this stuff. I'll see if I can find out what he did for the MAP sensor.

f22a to h22a swap understeer?

when i first started putting exhuast and headers and wheels and tires on my 90 accord when it had the f22a i noticed understeer problems most of them were solved by putting a strut bar on the rear note if you have understeer do not put a strut bar on the front it makes it worse but if you put it on the rear it makes the rear tires break traction about the same time as the front depending on how bad it is i was just wondering if with the new 60 lb weight gain if i should get some eibach springs and some tokiko shocks would that help with the extra weight.

excellent article on weight distrubution

i found a super article in an old d-sport magazine on weight distribution maybe some one can find it on the web i accidentally through away the magazine d-sport focuses on actually racing instead of looking like you do.

obd0 to obd1

is my 90 accord obd0 or obd1 i have heard both if i swap in the h22a and it turns out it is obd0 do i need to get an obd0 to obd1 conversion harness or can i use the obd0 harness because i cant find a conversion harness for my car

Back