5 gen accord h motor

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

brownkobe8

ok i understand that when im dropin the motors on the drivers side mount i need to grind off a bit to fit now i drive 96 lx now for it i just need to drop the engine and what do i need to modify on my harness out of the lx?
Also bout the ecu i need to wire vtec of course and then swithc a6 with a11 i think, but does this mean first i need to convert my ecu harnes to obd 1 then i switch the pins?
What ECU do you use for this type of swap

This is all assuming your talking about the h22.

Yes you need to grind down the drivers side mount(the prelude one). The other mounts are all accord ones assuming your not converting to manual at the same time.

To convert to OBD1 just get a conversion harness, there are tons of them, just make sure to get a good brand name like skunk2 or boomslang. I got an ebay one and it didn't work.

You do not need to switch pins a6 and a11 on an obd2 car, which is what you are.

The ecu you need depends on if your planning to tune your car. If your not going to tune, there's no point in converting to obd1 and you should get a p13 ( but make sure its and obd2 ecu, I think the 96 was p13 and obd2). If you want to tune it then convert to obd1 and get a p28 or p72, the p72 will keep your AIB (air intake bypass) and the p28 will not. From what I've seen the p72 are almost twice as expensive as well. And don't run the p28 or p72 for long without tuning them because they don't have correct fuel and ignition maps for the h22.

Last edited:
ok so i dont switch those pins , but how do i wire vtec like do i run the cables derectly from the sensor through the firewall into the ecu?
where do i find the vtec knock sensor, vtec pressure switch and the other ones as well?
But not using the harness are sayin that i can use the one from my accord or do i get the P13 then convert it?

No, you don’t need to switch the pins, I didn’t on my 97. Yes run the wires from the sensor themselves through the firewall and into the ecu.

You have to add 4 wires, one for Vtec pressure switch, Vtec solenoid, intake air bypass solenoid, and knock sensor.

Vtec pressure switch, right next to the distributor. The light blue wire needs extended to the ecu and pinned to d6. The other wire is a ground.

Vtec Solenoid, Also next to the distributor by the pressure switch. Green and yellow wire to A4 in the ecu.

Intake air bypass, its the black box under the intake runners. Pink wire goes to a17, black yellow wire to a keyed power source.

Knock sensor, it’s by the oil filter. Red blue wire to D3, use shielded wire.

You only have to get a conversion harness if you’re using an obd1 ecu. The connections are different between obd1 and obd2.

so i can use my original OBD2a ECU and wire vtec even though the H22 comes from the 92-95 prelude OBD1, cuz i keep the engine harness that came with my accord, but then again i just need to connect and lenghten few other connections?

Your car is a 96 right?

If the engine is obd1 then you should use a conversion harness and an obd1 ecu. You can use the obd2 ecu, but you have to change a few things on the engine, I haven't done it so maybe someone else can chime in.

Yes, you use your accord harness and lengthening the wires it's pretty self explanatory, just remember what and where you unplugged them from. The only major ones are IAC, it has to be rerouted to come out with the injector wires. And the o2 wire has to go from the front of the engine back near the oil filter.
http://www.j-k-tuning.com/obd2aobd1-conversion-harness-p-294.html

Please post more info on staying OBD2. I also have a 96 Non-Vtec LX Accord. Looking at motor prices, a H22 will run me around the same price as my orignal motor F22. So please post some more on what's needed to run the OBD2 ECU.

I will not be tuning, if I do I will be going standalone. I just want a replacement motor, hopefully more than a 2.2 SOHC.

Get an obd2 engine and obd2 prelude ecu for the h22. I doubt you've found an h22 that is the same price as an f22 cause the f22 run about 450 out by me.

I'm in BFE of Virginia - Tennessee Border. We have no foreign junkayrds, nothing but Ford, Chevy, & Dodge's.

I was relating to most online prices, a decent F22 will run $650 a decent H22 Long Block will run about $999. I don't minf to pay a little more, a just want the quickest swap (less downtime).

That sucks; Well whatever your decision, hope it goes well.

ok do you guys have pix of the sensors that i need to switch cuz what i want to do is have all the wiring done on my harness out my 96 lx, cuz i went to the junker and i pulled out a complete engine harness that i can play with.
i also have the one from an si vtec lude that i found scraped up like i dont really remember where did i pull them from?
Ok also i heard that i will run into problems near wiring the distributor why is that?

also i came around ecu plugs for an OBD1 and i own the lx
now i checked it out and they have the same colors, except only few wires and their the vtec wires.
So intead of goin to get a obd conversion cant i just cut the plugs out my lx and splice the wires into the plugs out of the OBD1?
And the wires that is left are the vtec ones and i just run them through

Back