5 MPG increase from plugs and wires.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

NickBeam

I plan on making a trip down to Beech Bend receway in the next week or so and I figured I would change my plugs and wires to get some easy HP. The plugs where less than a year old, but my car burns oil becuase of worn valve stem seals. I figured it could use some new ones. I replaced the OEM Ngk's with the Iridium IX's, and put on some Accel 300+ Thundersport wires. There was a noticeable increase in power but the best part was my fuel economy went from 30mpg to 35mpg! If I keep my foot out of the throttle more I may be able to get 36-37. Might have to try with my next tank.

good to know! i think i'll have to look into some maint. on mine this spring, seems to be dogging about 8mpg compared to last fall (i had it sitting all winter).

yeah i've ran a few tanks through, no change :(

It's because your wires were old and worn out, along with your plugs.

When you replace things that are worn out, everything works better. Don't let the marketing fool you into thinking that their brand is what made the difference. Try changing your air filter too.

dacheat: change all items that wear down, air filter, fuel filter, plugs, wires. Maybe it's your fuel pump. Check your tire pressure too. work from the intake to the tail pipe.

yup; sounds like a plan. i bought the car last summer as a replacement for my 89 si that got mangled in a highway pileup...the timing was terrible financially for me so i just kinda bought it and did my best not to look under the hood. money's freed up a little for me now so i'll put a couple hundo in every month until it's running great and has quality, new replacements.

don't get me wrong, i think the guy before me took immaculate care of this car (which is why i bought it). buuut it's been a year and several thousand miles. time for some maintenance. :blush:

Back