5 pounds of boost on a b18b1? Will internals Hold up??

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

0kay i have a b18b1 75,000 miles on it i wanna boost it lookin to buy a turbo kit off ebay i only wanna run 5 pounds of boost because its going to be a daily since it is now.would my internals hold up?also im doing a water pump timing belt and tensionar job right befor eboosting it.please reply to this post Thanks for reading

*For bolt ons im running a obx intake manifold,79mm throttle body,spacer,headers,exghaust*
:confused::confused::mad:

"Boost gets You laid"

assuming that its healthy now, it should run for a long time on 5psi.... if it is tuned right. what are your plans for tuning it? and 79mm tb? thats crazy big lol

eBay kits are not the way to go for reliability, but to each his own.

Yes, and no to your engine holding up on that amount of pressure. It all depends on the tune, turbo size, true condition of the engine, maintenance, etc.

There's always too many variables to really say for sure. You're kind of taking that chance when you put the turbo setup on, and YES you will have more problems.. its inevitable, go ahead.. ask me how I know ^_^

well i have a buddy of mine running 12 pounds of boost with a tuned ecu stock internals running mint

I dont see how thats relevant, but okay.

Its been stated before, but ill state it again: no two engines are the exact same, even from the factory. each engine is going to react differently to the same amount of boost, bolt ons, etc. this is why most people understand that psi doesnt really designate a power level, and the only thing you have to worry about with it is cylinder pressures.
cliffs: get your shit tuned.

well a buddy of mine told me about this website called excronixs some ish like dat i know if i go boost always ask them what basemap am i getting

xenocron
phearable

etc can all make basemaps

but again, i will reiterate: no basemap written across the country will compare to a tune created by an experienced tuner sitting in your passenger seat with a wideband.

Werd.

Theyre called base maps becuase they give a base to tune from. They are in no way, a final end all best tune for your motor, or any other motor for that matter.

Matt, didnt you have a bad experience with a base map?

And yes, there is no deffinite answer to your question. Your motor might hold up, and it migh do somethin like shit the rings. Too many variables.

yes, i did have an experience with a basemap.

i called phearable and told them exactly what i had. i was sent a basemap that ran my car at a 9.0 AFR, but its called a basemap because its designed to just start from and fine tune to your setup.

he knew my exact setup, and even still i didnt get anything close to what i thought i was going to get.

B18b should hold 5psi with a stock tune (crank up the fuel pressue some) but I wouldnt advise it. As for daily driver it should go awile for you as long as your motors healthy. I would stay away from ebay kits if I were you. Ive heard nothing but problems.

I've had friends run ebay turbos for 6mos whitch still isnt long but also had friends run on for 3 weeks and went out.

You get what you pay for when it comes to turbos, i believe

only thing i trust on my car from ebay is intercooler piping.. it was cheap bends and the couplers are holding 12 psi on my ls just fine.

only thing i trust on my car from ebay is intercooler piping.. it was cheap bends and the couplers are holding 12 psi on my ls just fine.

Ive heard good things about the e-gay piping. It is kinda hard to mess up I guess. Did you hafta do a bunch of trimming to get it to fit?

Yeah. But as long as you have a chop saw youll be okay.. you dont really need to weld anything except maybe a bov flange if you dont get the correct one with it.

ok to answer this ls are beast they can take a lot of beating trust me i know i have 3 cars 1 94 teg ls all stock internals running 15 pounds with a realy good tune from blue ridge motorsports and have been running that for about 2 years no problems just basic maint shit like 02s and shit 2 turboed gsr on 8 pounds been that way for three years and the new one my baby a turboed k24 on 25 pound obviusly the k is not stock but stock ones have handled that much so to answer this it will hold up as long as u keep the maint up like change u oil no more than every 2000 miles and change plugs every time needed i change mine every 3 months so make sure u get it tuned b4 u drive it and u will be good to go but just a hint dont get an ebay ram style manifold cuz u will be welding that damn thing all the time hope this helped

Only problem i have with ebay turbo kits other then.. well other bad quality over all.
is you run in to alot of problems putting them together. Missing parts and what not.
I've hooked up some ebay turbos for friends ....and after the 3rd one hell no, i'm never doing it again.

But I've seen ebay turbo's work for awhile (6-9months) before they fell on their face. , but like i stated before 3weeks aswell

Back