.50-.55 trim vs .55+ trim

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Yurik

im turboing my b16a honda crx right now, i have purchased a few things so far, but am still at a loss on what size turbo would be best...

i would like a fast spool time to reduce turbo lag, i have considered a .60 exhaust and intake gt35r turbo or a .50 and a .55 t3/t4 turbo, one of my friends reccommened the .50 or the .55 turbo just because of the fact it would have a faster spool, and meet my needs of 350 hp, where as the gt35r could reach far greater hp numbers, but im only wanting to make 325-350 hp in the end

i have a skunk2 intake mani, skunk2 68mm throttle body, msd ignition, full magnaflow exhaust, and a few other misc. bolt ons, just curious as to what size turbo would fit my needs the best, for a street car, occasional strip (1/4 mile), and just a fun ride

thanks for the help

Last edited:
also for further info, i will be running it at 6-7 psi on the stock block with tuning obviously, we do have access to a dyno, i would hopefully like to be at full spool around 3300-3500 and pull up to redline

thats some good info, but is so dang complicated lol

i understand it, but dont know what the conversion is for cubic cm to cubic inches, its 2.54 cm per inch, correct?

or better yet, whats the conversion from 1.6 liters to cubic inches, cuz i have no idea for that one

1 liter = 61.02 cubic inches
a b16 being 1596 cc is 97.45 ci
my b18b1 being 1834cc is 111.92ci

i agree it's hella complecated that's why i didn't offer a better answer. I couldn't
what i know about turbos
bigger turbos flow more air yet take more time to boost.
high rpms flow alot of air as do high displacement engines.
i don't like to spend alot of money on turbos.

sorry for being bland

Last edited:
o no not a big deal, your a lot of help!

basically i have been talking to my friend with an srt4 for awhile now, he has done many turbo mods and is giving me advise on my setup, he said .57 trim actually is worse then a 50 trim, being the fact that the compressor doesnt match as well as the 50 trim, he said if he was me he would go with a 50 or a 60, and no where between the 2, one or the other, he said to pick where i want it to spool, 50 is fast, 60 is slow, both are good for 500 hp no problem

that is my prediciment, im buying my intercooler tonight along with a adjustable fuel pressure reg, then my next pay check will be the turbo mani, and i will need to know what turbo i go with to get that, so i have 2 weeks to decide, just trying to figure it out

Back