1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

$50 Paint Job

Discussion in 'Body / Exterior / Interior / Cosmetics' started by Citizen_Insane, Apr 15, 2007.

1. Citizen_Insane

Citizen_Insane Senior Member

Found this link on crxcommunity.com:

$50 Paint Job

Obviously, I haven't tried it, but it seems like a good technique (worked for this guy). I'll probably try this out later this summer when I paint the CRX and fix the rust spots.

2. asmallsol

asmallsol Super Moderator

I have heard of similar paint jobs turning out real nice. It just takes a decent amount of sanding after you paint. I am pretty sure that pissedoffsol did the same kind of paint job to his neon that he built last year and was really surprised with the results. From the pics that I have seen of first time painters, it looks like the results faired much better then my virgin experience with a spray gun.

3. eg6sir

eg6sir Supa Mod Moderator VIP

hmmm... makes me think i should do mine.. i have no rust to fix, woot!!

4. allbottledup

allbottledup Senior Member

those pictures came out awesome...its funny a guy at my job painted one of our older trucks with it....didnt do any body work at all to it and it came out damn nice. All he did was roll on the Rustoleum.

5. civic accord honda

civic accord honda PRIMER Accord Club

i am think about doing this cuz my car is just cheep walmart rattel can primer

6. Matts96HB

Matts96HB . Moderator VIP

Hmm.. might try it on my EK, depending on the funding situation. Wonder how it does with plastic?

7. SneakySedan

SneakySedan Junior Member

Did this paint job in my front yard with .99 generic home depot rattle can. Maybe $20 in paint, $10 in wetsand, and $5 on compound, and a lot of time out in the yard sanding, polishinging, sanding some more.

Oh yea, its the first car I've ever painted, so dont expect too much, just consider that its a $35 paint job at most.

[​IMG]

8. Citizen_Insane

Nice dude, got any more shots of the paint?

9. SneakySedan

Here's the day I bought it.
    [​IMG]

After replacing the sheet of plexi-glass (notice the shiny piece covering the sunroof hole in the previous picture) with sheetmetal and priming the car (with $4 in flat black)
    [​IMG]

Here's about midway through the whole painting process. All the upper body was sprayed, sanded and buffed. I had just decided to paint the entire body black so I had only sprayed the lower half, no sanding or anything. Also put on a header panel that was given to me by a fellow 1G owner and a good friend of mine.
    [​IMG]
    (sorry its a small picture, my larger one is on another computer).

And one more of the finished job. I have a LOT more, can send them if anybody is interested and wants to know my full step my step.
    [​IMG]
    (it was a cloudy day, those are clouds and not paint swirls on the hood)

P.S. I AM STILL IN SEARCH OF THE HEADLIGHT SHROUDS FOR THIS CAR (84-85 CRX only had them). If you have a pair or know someone who has a pair, let me know.

Last edited: May 9, 2007
  10. TurboMirage

TurboMirage YEEAAAHHH VIP

11. SneakySedan

I'm on RedPepper as 85beater, since I got the car, lol. Still searching for the shrouds....

12. neonmike

neonmike Senior Member VIP

wow man that is damn impressive for a rattle can job. :thumbsup:

13. TurboMirage

TurboMirage YEEAAAHHH VIP

wow...

im redrexdx :) havent posted there in years though.

14. Celerity

Celerity Well-Known Member

The key here is not the paint. It's the sanding. You can coat a car with anything, and if you sand it to this guy's efforts, you'll do fine.

These paints aren't made to withstand sun light and chemical rains. Airjockie has a great rattle can job on his CRX, and it requires yearly maintenance from sun damage.

A good 2 or stage paint costs more, but it will last. Also, not priming metal (Even if it's a good bonding paint like what's described) is a bad idea. The paint sticks.. for now.

Then it slides right off the moment the oils seperate.

15. SneakySedan

Yea, my car sat in the sun for the past 3 months and its definitely not as shiny as those pictures anymore (but again, to be expected with how cheap the paint was). However, seeing as I have plenty of wetsand and compound left I could do a touch up job for probably $10.

But +1 to the sanding/buffing. Take your time, dont get in a hurry, and be consistant. My biggest thing was getting rushed by the end of the job, so the first few attempts this paint job created awesome fendershine but a really crappy hatch paint job.

16. SHOGUNOVDDRK

SHOGUNOVDDRK New Member

your 1st gen looks the shit bro.....nice paint and even if the swirls werent from the clouds id still rock it....

17. Citizen_Insane

If you read the link, the guy says he's had this paint on his beatle for over 6 years and hasn't had to do any maintanence on it yet. No bubbles, no sepparation, its not as shiny as it could be, but then again, its a cheap paintjob. I think there's a pic of it with his charger on there too to show that it hasn't faded either. I know it doesn't produce a show quality paint job, but if it lasts for more than 5 years, I'd be happy, I probably won't have the same CRX for more than 5 years anyway.

18. delsoul

delsoul honda hooker

Something I have not seen any mention on, referring to rattle can paints, and thats the cure time they have. It can take days for a lot of them to actually cure. Not dry.. but cure. Theres a huge difference.

Anyone thats gone this route will know, if you have a blemish that will require touching up, you will have to wait.. and wait.. and wait.. and WAIT. These paints will remain soft for quite awhile.

Use of a rattle can primer is a nightmare for anyone thats excited to see results, and are impatient in any way. Even these primers will take forever to dry enough to just sand smooth for a coat of color.. (of course, theres exceptions to everything, this is my exp speaking)

Another thing is, rattle can primer is sooooo stinking thin, you cant use it as a filler at all. There are a few thick ones, but there again.. youll be waiting hours to sand one coat down, to apply the next.. verses an automotive grade mix primer, spray on, sand in 10-15 mins usually, spray another coat.

Aside from that, the most important thing for anyone to understand, that has intentions of taking on a project as serious as painting their car is, your paint will only be as smooth as the surface you spray (or roll :p ) it on. I dont know how many people I have seen over the years prep and prep their car's body, only to spray on primer, and go directly into color.. without even scuffing the primer. SAND THE PRIMED SURFACE SMOOTH! otherwise, your paint... no matter how you apply it, will be rough and dull.

Heres a civic I been working on.. though, I use the traditional Base coat/Clear coat.
    Index of /img/98-civic-hb

Just figured my 2 cents might save someone out there some trouble.

Last edited: May 25, 2007
  19. fsboddi

fsboddi New Member

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted