5th gear pop out

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

PhyRe

got this issue and i dont know if its the bushings or the clutch its self. on the highway 5th gear pops out. shifter is loose, bushing are my guess. in gear you can still move side to side.
but after a few days of around town driving it almost feels like the cluch does not engage or somehting. i dont know what tranny it is(hydro b) but it seems to rev up faster than my ls and gsr but doesnt seem to pull they way the gsr did, maybe slipping? gears feel closer. i have to bleed it to see if there is any air in the line. any thoughts would be great i hate having to shove it in gear just to save some gas on the hiway

Is your tranny making any noise? My guess is your tranny's time is gonna run out. Once it starts on 5th gear of popping out it WILL lead to 4th then 3rd then none... It's gotta be your Syncho's man my answer! But hey I could be wrong... and I could be right on point.

If you don't have any problems with 1st thru 4th then it would stand to reason that 5th gear synchro is worn. Kind of odd that it would be 5th that goes first. It's generaly the other way around. I can't remember on a B series trans, but I think on a D series 5th gear is at the end of the shaft and is easy to replace! I'm sure though. If you pulled your end cover off of the transmission ( the part furthest away from the flywheel ) you will see two gears together. If the one on top is bigger then that's your 5th gear. If it's smaller then that's 1st gear.

I would try and put bushings in first through. No matter if you have to put in a transmission or not those bushings will need replaced if there is slop in them! Maybe that's why your synchro's are bad!

:( today 2nd felt funny went in but "clicked" befor going all the way in. tomarro im gunna get under there change the bushing and bleed it to rule those out but i know once 2nd in my gurls sol went it was all to shit after that. but yeha i was thinkin it was the bushing that caused it all

I had the same problem with my transmission i ended up putting poly bushings in and it solved the problem i was afraid it was the 5th gear itself but im sure of all the gears to go bad it would be second gear first and not 5th although im sure 5th gears do go out

Back