5th gen hatch swap

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

here2chill

I am new to doing swaps, and for that, any mechanical work at all. I have a 5th gen hatch, unfortunately automatic. I am doing fiberglassing and other work on the interior, and maybe a body kit this summer, but next winter I want to turn my 102 hp stock automatic into a 400hp+ turbo'd machine running on a LSD hydro tranny. How the hell? Where do I start? What engine would be cheapest/easiest for my mechanic to swap? And when should I do internal upgrades and turboing? before I drop the engine in or after I do a break-in? I am going to order my motor from hmotorsonline.com, are they a fast and reliable source of engines? Where can i get a turbo kit for the engine I chose? How much will the swap/turbo/manual conversion all cost? Any feedback is greatly appreciated, I obviously need some serious mentoring!!!!

-hmotorsonline is a very realiable source of motors, you can certianly buy with confidence from them

-there is not a turbo kit on the market that you are going to be able to make 400hp with out of the box, your best route would be a custom setup

-i recommend doing the motor build up before you drop the new motor into car, there is no need to break in the old motor if you're going to be rebuilding it with new pistons, rods, rings, etc

-if you're going to be doing all this motor work, i would recommend doing the conversion to the manual tranny- honda auto trannys are notoriously weak so you're either going to have to completely rebuild and strengthen the auto trans, or just switch to the manual- you'd be much happier with a boosted motor and a manual trans

Originally posted by here2chill@Apr 12 2004, 11:56 PM
I am new to doing swaps, and for that, any mechanical work at all. I have a 5th gen hatch, unfortunately automatic. I am doing fiberglassing and other work on the interior, and maybe a body kit this summer, but next winter I want to turn my 102 hp stock automatic into a 400hp+ turbo'd machine running on a LSD hydro tranny. How the hell? Where do I start? What engine would be cheapest/easiest for my mechanic to swap? And when should I do internal upgrades and turboing? before I drop the engine in or after I do a break-in? I am going to order my motor from hmotorsonline.com, are they a fast and reliable source of engines? Where can i get a turbo kit for the engine I chose? How much will the swap/turbo/manual conversion all cost? Any feedback is greatly appreciated, I obviously need some serious mentoring!!!!

a well planned turbo project takes time. you said next winter, right? my advice is do LOTS and LOTS of research. start by ordering several books from Ebay specifically targeting honda building. read forums like Hondaswap and hondatech. ask questions.

i hope you like reading because if you're smart thats what you'll do starting now and not stop until the project is complete. definetly order some books from ebay.

good luck :thumbsup:

edit: make sure you use the search here at HS before posting a common Q.

reasearch is probably the hardest part. for the 5th gen hatch, your going to want a ODB1 motor so that the wiring is bolt in. I would go with a LS or a B16 from a USDM Del Sol, or JDM from a supplier somewhere. Hmotorsonline.com or jspecautosports.com -- thats where I got mine. If your going to build it, start off probably with low compresion pistons. full valve train, valves/springs/retainers. your going to be best off with getting your car converted to manual trans. because like stated before, auto trans. are week. get plugs w/ wires. get a upgraded clutch, stage 2 maybe 3. For the turbo. there is a whole project in itself. Work on this in two different parts. The swap. then the turbo. once the swap is completed, the turbo is the next part. you will need gauges, some sort of fuel management system, and a whole load of parts, if you are patience and have some time. the turbo can be built for cheap using some used parts. other wise part and piece it together your self. Don't buy a kit, they are usally over price and you can make more power by doing it your self. Check the FORCED INDUCTION forum for those questions. there are lots of helpful posts and just ask questions. That is the area that you should research the most. good luck. any questions about the turbo, i am completing my turbo on my B16 and I know that there are countless others in that forum doing the same, so just contact us.

Darin

Back