78 cvcc build thread

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

respray the bay before you drop the motor in.. it'll look a 10x better

i'd just do it flat black, that way any color would look fine with it.. and it hides grease for the most part

Last edited:
Very nice! You can find a way to fab the V8 into place...

Doubt it. Thats a Merlin BB 454. The valve covers are wider than my fenders. THAT would be one doofy lookin widebody.

Sure you can! Just run super skinny itty bitty tires up front.

wow, sweet project. . . but why are you doing an Ls swap? why not a GSR? or even better a Kserries?
I don't think you realize the size of this car (micro machine). It's much smaller than any newer hatch. And the engine isn't an LS, its the D16A1 from the first gen 'teg (smaller, But i still gotta hack the framerails to get it to fit). I have seen pics of one with a GSR, but he modified the front framerails a LOT and spent multiple thousands of dollars to have someone else do the work. I got both cars for 1200 bucks, and I'm doin all the work myself...

I don't think you realize the size of this car (micro machine). It's much smaller than any newer hatch. And the engine isn't an LS, its the D16A1 from the first gen 'teg (smaller, But i still gotta hack the framerails to get it to fit). I have seen pics of one with a GSR, but he modified the front framerails a LOT and spent multiple thousands of dollars to have someone else do the work. I got both cars for 1200 bucks, and I'm doin all the work myself...

fair enough! look as if it was a B18 from a 90-93 integra (DA) well good luck, im deffinately going to follow this build looks pretty cool

I'll update the pics 2nite. I got the engine back from the shop, put a new clutch on and put the tranny back on. Then I dropped it into the CVCC to see how it'd fit. Looks like I gotta do some trimming on the framerails...

Weekend Update

Whenever working on such a project, be sure to handicap yourself by any means necessary to make it more dificult. Start by removing unneeded portions of your thimbnail so that your opposable digit is rendered useless.
DSC02509.jpg

DSC02508.jpg

Then finish removing motor mounts, install clutch and transmission to engine for a test fit in the car.
DSC02502.jpg

DSC02503.jpg

DSC02505.jpg

DSC02506.jpg

DSC02507.jpg

As you can see, It's a tight fit. The engine has no crank pulley, as I'm still waiting for the Ebay pulley to arrive, but i figure the driver's side framerail will only need to be pushed in about an inch, so I'm just gonna torch it to make some room.
The framerails taper as they go back, so I'll also have to notch out a small section for the alternator pulley, and give clearance for the belt to run.
On the transmission side, I only need to notch out a small portion to move it further forward into alignment.

i think we could have gone without the nail picture,

+1 on the nail thing...

nice project... everytime i see someone do this i get the itch. i just have no time

good luck, keep the updates flowing

My name is Airjockie and I approve this build:thumbsup:

except...pull the motor back out and at least wash the engine bay...^_^

Back