78 cvcc build thread

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Just remember that if you modify your stock suspension mounting points your car will no longer be legal in SCCA Solo2 racing, or at least in classes where you could be competitive (SM).

yeah, I'm gonna run it like it is for now. Probly not gonna be in any competitions, so I'm not worried about those kinda regulations, I just want a quick car that handles well and stops on a dime. The 2x wishbone wouldn't have to be off an older car, just a small one to fit this car's dimensions. I don't have UCA's :(

Hubs are done!

Got the hubs back from the machine shop. They did a nice job. Still waiting for the seals to come in so i can get it all pressed back together.​

Before:
IMG_0450.jpg

After:
IMG_0500.jpg

dude...that is such a sweet idea...I have a question...other than the wiring and stuff that needs to be done for the PGFMI...is it a direct bolt in or do you need to order a mount kit??

I kinda thought so..I know that the 85-8 civics are ust a direct bolt in for the whole engine tranny and sub frame from the integra..all you need to change is the spindles...or run the integra brakes which would obviously be the better choice/

I believe this swap is similar in proportions to a k-swap in a newer hatch. To perform this, I have to do a LOT of things.

Remove all existing mounts and fabricate new ones.
Trim framerails on both sides and box the framerails back in with steel plate.
Modify crossmember to accomodate header.
Remove chassis harness from both the Civic and Integra and make a hybrid harness (barely started on it and it's still been most of the work so far).
Add inline fuel pump for MPFI, since the orig. engine was carbeurated
Machine Integra Spindles to fit into CVCC knuckles.
Fabricate brake caliper mounts to fit the Integra Calipers on the CVCC knuckle
Have custom length Integra axles made.
Fabricate full exhaust system
Shorten Integra Shift Linkage
Relocate Battery

These are just issues I've run into so far. I'm sure I'll run into many more fun problems to solve as i get further along.

wow that sounds like a whle bunch of work. my friend has an 83 honda civic, and I presume you would have to do the same amount of work to do that kind of engine swap into it...therefore I told him it's not really worth it seeing as how he only paid 750$ for the car..roughly how much have you spent on your project.. if you don't mind me asking?

actually even if that car is in GREAT condition... $750 is pretty steep.
CRX's in good condition go for that.....

Costs so far:
78 Civic = $300
89 Integra = $800
Rebuilt Engine = $1100
New Clutch = don't remember, maybe $130?
Custom Machining on Integra Hub = $150
Pressing knuckle Assemblies apart & back together = $80
Various Seals = $60+
Unorthodox Pulley = $100
Header = $140
Cheap Ass Summit Racing Muffler = $14 YEAH!
BBK fuel pump = $200 somethin...
Custom Axles = $400 (haven't got em yet)

I think that's all my major expenses and the stuff I can think of off the top of my head, this doesn't include a LOT of other stuff like the steel stock I'll buy for fabricating mounts, caliper brackets, exhaust tubing, electricity for the welder...

I think by the time I'm done, if I'm under $4K I'll be doin pretty good.

Oh, and by the way, I'm pickin up the knuckle assemblies 2morrow, I'll post pics when I get em installed.

I was thinkin about buyin this guy's brakes :drool:

Brakes.jpg

Brakes2.jpg

But he wants $600 for 'em and they're 11 inch rotors, so I gotta use 15 inch rims minimum. I doubt I'll actually get em, but that would be SOOOO sweet.
Whatever, the stock teg brakes will give me more stopping power than I'll ever need, those would be overkill, and only good for looks.

I'd put the $600 somewhere else, like cams or ITB's or something cool. Teggy brakes will be more than enough for a CVCC.

Keep up the good work man, your thread and Andrew's are the threads I check first everytime I visit.

no joke mang... but I know your probably freezing them balls off up on AK!!
(at least I move slower when they're cold... lol)

It's been like -40F so the garage is an icesicle. It just warmed up today, so I'm gonna go put some fuel in the garage and try to get some shit done this weekend.
Making motor mounts is a lot fuckin harder than it looks.

Back