79 Non-cvcc build thread

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Actually, on the integra, they are, and it almost acts like an LSD from what I've been told.

i was more referring to the 1st gen stock axles lol. ive never even seen the teggy axles yet. but i dont see how the could be the same length either... the tranny still sits to the side of the engine so its going to be closer to one wheel than the other... how are they the same?

There's a midshaft, or half shaft that goes on the drivers side of the trans and mounts to the block under the oil filter. The axle plugs into the midshaft.

sooo.... anyone ever BUILT and i mean like really built a d16a1 before?

4tq9v6f.jpg

4r0ah6h.jpg

i pulled it from the car today and started tearing it down. this thing needs to be BUILT. but since i cant just jump online and order some badass parts, im kinda playing noob, i need help. some one said i can use pretty much any d series internals for this motor. anyone else know if thats true?

this motor needs to be built to be able to handle at least 15 pounds of boost on a very hard thrashing beating daily basis. so when i say built, i mean built. aiming for a good solid 250 whp out of this motor. so chime in please!

Actually, on the integra, they are, and it almost acts like an LSD from what I've been told.

My GSR did not have an LSD and almost every time I did a burnout it would leave tire marks from both wheels, so I would have to agree with that.

this motor needs to be built to be able to handle at least 15 pounds of boost on a very hard thrashing beating daily basis. so when i say built, i mean built. aiming for a good solid 250 whp out of this motor. so chime in please!

Aftermarket rods (Eagle, Scat, Tunertoys, Etc.) Aftermarket forged pistons (Wiseco, Endyne, Ross, Etc.) ARP hardware (Headstuds, rod bolts, etc.) JG engineering has lots of stuff. Web makes good cams. Basically, upgrade the valvetrain to make power at higher RPM and upgrade the bottom end to handle the power.

That being said, you can reliably boost that engine in stock form to 250whp, just depends on the turbo setup and how well it's tuned. If I were you, I'd get a hot set of cams and some beefy valvesprings to match, Get ARP headstuds and rod bolts, then concentrate on the turbo setup and tuning.

great sites klyph! i didnt realize there was that much out there for the double slammer d series, ive looked and failed lol.

im looking at these web cams... and they say drag race only highly modified engines.... im wondering how "highly modifed" they are talking. any clues?

well heres the finished progress of the tear down... ill send the block and head off to the machine shop prob sometime next week to get it magged and cleaned.

This is the New Zero-Cam JDM Motor. Straight From japan its at least 500 hp to the wheels. oh yeah. :lol:

l_ace897e79316bb0e05a6db9fb998ea08.jpg

when i bought this motor the guy told me it ran perfect. he rolled his car and parted it out. i pull the head off and i find chunks of dirt and debree in there. wtf....

l_821c16e81e4e1810132fc346b5e620f6.jpg

and this really topped it off... a FRIGGIN LEAF!! wtf! how does a unburnt leaf make it into the cylinder.... :roll:

l_03ba7a62f8385bfe62ca92ee052039a1.jpg

bottom end taken off, pistons and rods removed. just got the crank, flywheel, and pully left!

l_885ad26a02fb55c2cc85c25ba17e525c.jpg

everything stripped down. block is ready for the machine shop!

l_a0e8026ac302a69700b3fbe3d130f520.jpg

should be shinny compared to this when it comes back! stay tuned.

l_89e6a862ad6c6c45d2626d9a5680161f.jpg

well some very good news i just had to share.... snagged a new part tonight.... prob the biggest part of this build :)

a TD05 turbo from a late 90's early 00's jdm impreza!! it boosted those cars to well over 350 hp... i think i will be perfect for the civic :)

best part of alll.... price was FREE

tell me about it! gotta love free.

so one more thing done!

gotta love the new clean head!

l_58a4bbaad6bfadcd7854fb462d93f069.jpg

So to quickly intro myself i'm 79civic's friend that does all the fabing and wiring. so this last weekend we started the swap for the guy in portland that 79civic got his from. anyway talk about a hell of a weekend. so i think the final combo that we are using is a d16y8, the tranny out of a 89 'teg, and all going into a 79 hatchback. we got the stock motor out about half or more of the cutting out of the way(wow i thought i had to cut alot to get my front mount on my WRX. LOL). i have to weld a crack in the damn aluminum oil pan up and we need to get the new clutch installed then we can start fabing the mounts.

so from what we have found the 89 teg tranny doesn't use a pilot brearing, can anyone confirm that for us?

hopefully the next weekend we work on it will be in 2 weeks and we will be able to have it mounted we can get started on either the wiring or maybe the header. idk which i want to tackle first. we'll keep you posted.

I didn't even think that a teg tranny would properly bolt up? POST PICS!

The pre 90's Integra had a D series motor in it...

zomg, orly? nowai. :roll: (check my sig)

The issue is with the transmission bolts near the starter, I've been told that the D16A1/ZC trans. is slightly different from later D's at those bolts. You can make it work, but i think you can only get one bolt on the starter unless you drill and tap a new hole. This is all stuff I've heard, so I'm not positive. We should ask jlicrx, he'd know.

zomg, orly? nowai. :roll: (check my sig)

The issue is with the transmission bolts near the starter, I've been told that the D16A1/ZC trans. is slightly different from later D's at those bolts. You can make it work, but i think you can only get one bolt on the starter unless you drill and tap a new hole. This is all stuff I've heard, so I'm not positive. We should ask jlicrx, he'd know.
i think we have 2 different things here, which have 2 different solutions:

A. 88-91 CRX/Civic L3 transmission with a 86-89 Integra D16A1 engine.

B. 86-89 Integra CG transmission with 88 and up D-series CRX/Civic engine.

in either case, one of the bolt holes in the transmission does not line up with the hole in the engine - the bolt in question is the bottom bolt in the rear that comes thru from the engine side - you can drill out the hole slightly to get them to line up and use a flat washer on the bolt - it will look like this: (this is the D16A1 block and L3 transmission)

d16a1bolt.jpg

the other things that need to be done are as follows:

using the 88-91 L3 transmission and 86-89 D16A1 engine:

1. the starter on the 88 and up D-series engines has one long bolt that goes thru the clutch housing into a hole in the end of the block - the 86-89 D16A1 block does not have a hole for this bolt - you need to tap the hole in the clutch housing and install a different bolt to hold the starter on.

2. you need to use the flywheel, clutch disc, pressure plate and starter for the 88-91 CRX/Civic - the preferred set-up would be using the 90-91 flywheel and clutch since it is the larger 212mm diameter as opposed to the smaller 88-89 200mm diameter Si parts - if the transmission is 88 model with the different splines on the input shaft, you would need to use the 88 Accord disc with the 90-91 CRX/Civic flywheel and pressure plate - the CRX/Civic flywheels have a pilot bearing which supports the outer end of the input shaft.

using the 86-89 CG transmission and 88 and up D-series engine

1. the starter on the 86-89 Integra bolts to the clutch housing, so you shouldn't need to do anything there.

2. you need to use the flywheel, clutch disc, pressure plate and starter for the 86-89 Integra D16A1 - the 86-89 Integra flywheel does not use a pilot bearing - the input shaft is supported by the hole in the flywheel - the CG input shaft is too large to fit into the CRX/Civic pilot bearing - the 90-91 CRX/Civic pressure plate would also come into contact with the CG transmission case where the differential bearing is located - unfortunately, the 86-89 Integra used the smaller 200mm diameter clutch, but you are kind of stuck with it

here is picture of the 86-89 Integra and 90-91 CRX/Civic flywheels:

DAflywheels-1.jpg

here is the 86-89 Integra CG transmission input shaft:

CGmainshaft-1.jpg

here is where the 90-91 CRX/Civic pressure plate would hit the transmission case:

DAtranscase.jpg

Last edited:
well. little update. i havnt really spent a whole lot of time on my car in quite some time. my little girl was finally born, so theres been more important things going on.

but i spent a good 2 hours on it today dinkin around. i changed my game plan on the body styling. dont want to go super custom any more, going to stick more to a cleaner and more suddle look. and i got bored so i decided to slam the fucker. suprisingly enough, the tires dont rub one bit!

ill post a new photo shop later with the new projected goal.

l_d8a23bb74377990eba7867dccebd5630.jpg

l_ec36840ba7139d2715c17ca5ad789e90.jpg

l_44fe8f51e7598113bb6f5d1d7a9ee305.jpg

l_85530f322ae0aa0ccb22c2576132bfbb.jpg

l_73f63d8e54f4846f6ccc439940baa6eb.jpg

nothing rubs even at full turn, gotta love thin wheels and large wheel wells haha.

l_cab42b742da98afc997998bba734cbc0.jpg

that cross member barley clears my fist lol

l_96d25a6a83bea9bfd354e95e69b3a7a6.jpg

oh yeah it sits sooo low we actaully had to lift the car up by hand to get the lift out from under it. lmao.

Back