7g Civic Overheating! HELP!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

UhUknow

Well im hoping someone can shead some light on my given situation this problem has been plagueing me for roughly 9 months. ...My car will start to overheat for no given reason... the air from the heater will turn cold as if nothing is going through the waterpump.... after my car doing this to me 3 times....3rd time me being on a date...i went ahead and took my car to the dealership cause i couldn't figure it out for the life of me...They charged me $200 too look at it...they had my car in the shop for 5 hours....and told me there was nothing wrong with my car and it wont over heat so they dont know whree i got the assumption it was overheating..they told me if it'd make me feel better the best they could do is flush the system and install a new thermostat for another $200...i said f*** you guys and left...i did that all myself... and my car stopped overheating for roughly 2 weeks...and the continued to overheat ....had people tell me i probably had a bad gasket..but they had checked my car over and over again the time i took it to the dealership...there aren't any leaks...there's no problem with the preasure......i've checked all my fluids for leaks ...i once had whtie smoke come out of my exhaust....i had changed my oil the next day to look for any mixed fluids in there...but there is nothing coming into my engine....my Radiator fluid stays full..but lately i've noticed that it is completely backfilling the resivour until it overflows spewing fluid into my engine compartment...which also has been going onto my Airfilter....not sure if that could be the start of my problem in it self...i dont have any mods done to my engine compartment except for an AEM short ram intake....I really hope someoen could shed some light on my situation...i've talked to numerous experts and no one can point me in the right direction....i've burped my radiator system for air bubbles numerous times which seems to help the most...(makes car last roughly a month before it starts to overheat again)...anyways any help would be much appreciated...either reply here or E-mail me UhUknow@aol.com thanks

other than the overheating factor, hows the motor run? a LOT of the symptoms your describe define a blown head gasket

my engine runs great other than this stupid thing... ..i've never had any problems with the way it runs except that it's overheating....and i also would of imagined that after almost a year of this happening....my engine would of completely blown up with a bad head gasket....

are any of your coolant lines crimped (including heater hose lines)?

is your car standard or auto?

there are no crimps in any of my lines...i also sorta figured the dealership would of noticed such a thing when they ran diagnostics....although i felt like i knew more about the problem than they did when i talked to them.....Also i do have an Automatic.....it's a 4dr LX... I heard something recently that the 7gen civics use a special coolant..is that true?..cause after about a month of having these issues i flushed my system and used an off market brand...which did wonders for the next month or so...had no problems and the car even ran a tad bit cooler..even had a bit of improvement in accel. anyways...any other ideas?

check your tranny fluid. there are tranny coolant lines that run through the radiator. make sure there is nothing wrong with them. i would imagine that the car would shift funny if there was coolant in there, but who knows, i drive standrads :D

-Chris

are your fans turning on? Turn the car on and let it run. Once it starts to get in the normal operating temp, they should turn on for a bit. If they dont you have a problem with a sensor, ground/curcuit/fues, or the fans themselves. Run a wire straight to the battery from your fans and see if they turn on. If they dont, your fan is bad, if not, keep going down the line and eventually you will find the prob.

Well ...my fans where the first thing i ever checked asmallsol and they all checked out alright no fuses are blown so i was left stumped with that...and i havent checked any of the trannie lines..but my car shifts nicely....but didn't think any problems with that would cause the car to overheat....but i am not to familiar with trannie's especially the civic ones that run it through the raidator i was dumbfounded when i found out it ran the trannie fluid through there....but if there was a fluid problem with the Trannie would that even cause the car to overheat????..

I had the same thing was happening in my 93 EG last summer, it'd overheat for no reason, mine ran fine for months then one summer day the typical white smoke, bogging, etc, came...needless to say I blew the head gasket to shit. Not saying that's what it is but just be careful in the meantime.

Back