8 pound flywheel

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

i want to get a racing clutch and a 8 pound fly wheel but a friend of mine told me that prelude trannys arent that strong and i can mess it up with a racing clutch and pound fly wheel some one eles told me it help the trans i would like some second opinions thank you

holy fucking run on sentence.

8 lb flywheels just allow the engine to rotate faster. if you dump the clutch and destroy your transmission, it's your fault.

It's not going to help or hurt the transmission. If you go with a nice streetable clutch and an 8-lb flywheel, I think you'll be pretty happy. The lightened flywheel removes rotating mass from your engine bay, freeing up some power. It's not going to hurt your tranny at all. It might take a few days to get used to the slightly new driving style, but otherwise don't worry about it.

Prelude trannies are just fine, unless you plan on running 300-400 horses to the wheels.

as far as installing it myself yes no? i have some experince and a friend who has done it before.

a scattershield is nice but that is for top drag cars, if that fucker breaks (which I have never heard of that happening to a street car) she will go in all directions.

I wasn't trying to scare you but the flywheel that you have is fine, I ran one forever and had no problems.

had a fidanza and a act 6 puck on my h22 and ran fine on radials.....=D

Exedy is made by Daiken, which makes clutchs for true race high end cars. They are great, if your looking for the organic clutch kit from exedy give me a call and I am sure that I can beat that price of 260..

1-561-395-5700 ask for either myself or felipe, and let him know that your from hondaswap for the discount...

Milan

definatly do the install , save some $ and get some experience

If you are going to be drag racing an lighter flywheel may not neccessarily be the correct decision. As everyone knows a lighter flywheel will help the motor spin up faster, removing the rotating mass always does, but with less centrifugal force means the motor will slow down faster, for lack of better words. Light flywheel = less gas to get it moving, more gas to keep it moving. Heavier flywheel = more gas to get it moving, less gas to keep it moving. If you launch with a lighter flywheel you would have to launch at a higher rpm to keep from bogging the motor. Same would go for normal driving conditions, you will find you will have to give the car more gas to "creep" forward with a lightened flywheel. Generally a heavier flywheel for Drag racing, and a lighter flywheel for Auto cross or road racing.

Back