80mpg, 400hp mustang

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

"Are you telling me that this sucker......is nuclear?"

He said it gets 400 at 80mpg, and he is unhappy with that.

P.S. I've come up with a new "valve train" design. Cheaper / Easier to produce, WAY less resistance than a standard valve train. As a matter of fact, my design has no valves.. or springs.. or retainers.. or any of that. Its a holy shit idea, and I'm making sure it'll really work.

Trains:

They have diesel engines, but they only power generators that create electricity to drive electric motors that actually power the drive wheels. So, why doesn't someone do a hybrid diesel / electric where a 50ish hp diesel powers a generator which powers electric motors at the wheels? Stupid amounts of torque, more power than you'd ever need. Pair that with a crap-ton of batteries and the engine could shut itself down from time to time.

P.S. BMW owns the pattents to solenoid driven valves, iirc.

Diesel? hahahahha American + Diesel means nothing more then trucks.

There's so many nice diesel cars over seas that we dont have here. 40mpg non hybrid cars are not hard to come by... unless you live in the US then you get 2 choices.

tdi bug, tdi jetta.

sigh.

P.S. I've come up with a new "valve train" design. Cheaper / Easier to produce, WAY less resistance than a standard valve train. As a matter of fact, my design has no valves.. or springs.. or retainers.. or any of that. Its a holy shit idea, and I'm making sure it'll really work.

Psst, they already have that, its called a 2-stroke motor.:D

I've thought of doing something like a "ball-valve"-style head; the cam itself acts as the valve. The timing would simply be how big the holes/ports are cut into it. I didn't really think much of it though because of sealing and friction issues.

Psst, they already have that, its called a 2-stroke motor.:D

actually its called a rotary engine

I've thought of doing something like a "ball-valve"-style head; the cam itself acts as the valve. The timing would simply be how big the holes/ports are cut into it. I didn't really think much of it though because of sealing and friction issues.

again... rotary engine

wankel.gif

Define efficient.

As far as horsepower per liter, they are efficient compared to piston engines. However, as far as fuel efficiency they are horrible.

Last edited:
Define efficient.

As far as horsepower per liter, they are efficient compared to piston engines. However, as far as fuel efficiency they are horrible.

torque compared to fuel consumption; or rather which makes the most from a given amount of fuel.

Also, the horsepower per liter depends on how you measure the displacement of a rotary engine. There's a lot of ongoing debate about it("1.3l" 13B is equivalent to a 2.6l piston engine.)

Last edited:
the rotary engine is the best motor ever made in terms of technology, simpleness, and what not. it's just a bad rep around it because mazda didn't pull it off as best they could.

but think about it.

the first ohv v8 vs todays ls7 orwhatever it is in the vette. night and day of the same concept.

there's room for improvement.

but look at jet engines... they are a derriviative of the wankel more or less

Back