80's Monte Carlo

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

trappd-in-859

Ok, Im scrapping the '86 supra idea due to all the negative comments I got so Im thinking of doing up a monte/cutlass/regal.

What I would like to know is how hard would it be to swap a fuel injected v8 into one of these cars and how much would it cost in its entirety?

I should have a 10-15k budget, excluding price of the car, to modify the car. I know some of you will say why not just buy a newer car and mod it progressively? The reason why is I want something that I can say is semi unique that i put alot of time and money into.

So Im open to all suggestions as to what route to take on this.

TIA

bah keep it carbed. They're sooooooooooo much easier to tune and mess with carbed.

Look for a monte carlo SS. I really think you should get a grand national or t-type.

This kid I know's parents own 3 of those GN's (2 black, 1 white). One of them even has nitrus. I've never ridden in one, but I hear they're fucking fast!

Originally posted by Citizen_Insane@Jul 24 2005, 02:17 PM
This kid I know's parents own 3 of those GN's (2 black, 1 white). One of them even has nitrus. I've never ridden in one, but I hear they're fucking fast!
[post=530456]Quoted post[/post]​

Did he paint that one then? GNs only came in black.

a domestic car will be fairly cheap to build in relation to an import. Go to local swap meats for parts, look in recker yards for the jewel, and get to know a couple of clubs.

Originally posted by trappd-in-859@Jul 24 2005, 12:28 PM
Would a carbed v8 or v6 be easy to turbo or would an SC be a better idea?

I like the idea of a GN or T-type but they are just too hard to find around here(kentucky).

I would like the car to end up something like the one in the link http://www.cardomain.com/ride/733445
[post=530460]Quoted post[/post]​

Anything with a carbed Small block Chevy is going to be fairly inexpensive to get power out of.

I, personally, have never seen a reliable turbo system on a carbed car. The best way to do it IMO is the "hotbox" method. Superchargers are easier. You can get blowers that use either EFI or carbs. If I was going carb, which I am, I'd just put a wet N2O system on it (which I plan on doing).

Originally posted by 2000Si+Jul 24 2005, 01:47 PM-->
Citizen_Insane
@Jul 24 2005, 02:17 PM
[post=530456]Quoted post[/post]​

Did he paint that one then? GNs only came in black.
[post=530466]Quoted post[/post]​

Yeah, I belive that 1 is painted.

Originally posted by 92civicb18b1@Jul 24 2005, 01:49 PM
yes...get a Grand National.
[post=530417]Quoted post[/post]​

those are nice.

my boy owned, i wanna say, an '88 Monte Carlo. that shit was sooooo comfortable. but yeah, drinking and driving will do it everytime. LoL, now he owns an '86 Silverado in none other than........yellow! its peace though. he found a way to bypass the choke. just step on the gas twice, hold the gas down, turn they key, and release the gas when you hear it turn over.

My brother's buddy has a 80 something monte. It has just a different carb, headers, exhaust, and a 4.40 and ran a 14.3 or something, burning out pretty bad, I guess it really pulls up top, like from 60mph on. It's a pretty beast car, but you definitely have to like the style. I loved the one in Training day for some reason.

My brother ran the monte in his TT and lost.

The monte in training day was from the late 70's. Yea that was one sexy ass car, no doubt. Not a bad movie either.

Does anybody have any websites I can visit to price some stuff out like engines, trannys, and things like that. Ive googled stuff but cant really find much but SBC's.

If you don't want an SBC then what do you want?

Crate engine? It'll be way cheaper to buy a core and rebuild it.

What exactly are you looking to do drivetrain wise, and in what car?

Originally posted by Battle Pope@Jul 26 2005, 12:35 PM

[post=531399]Quoted post[/post]​

383 making 450hp and a 6speed behind it with 2.73s out back... :D :D

Originally posted by NissanNiNjA2nd+Jul 26 2005, 01:34 PM-->
Battle Pope
@Jul 26 2005, 12:35 PM

383 making 450hp and a 6speed behind it with 2.73s out back... :D :D
[post=531473]Quoted post[/post]​

Not you, doofus. lol

I've got a video that you need to see sometime though. TT 383 in a Z

Originally posted by Battle Pope@Jul 26 2005, 12:35 PM

No, I do want a SBC. All I know is I want a 3 or 4speed auto tranny that can hold maybe 400hp. The car I would like to build up would be an 80's monte/regal/cutlass.

My main goal would be to have a quick to fast street car that looks good and wont cost me an arm and a leg. I would also like to get 20mpg+ on whatever setup I go with.

Im not really knowledgable on all this, im trying to learn, and if I decide to do this, it wont be for a year or so.

Back