'83 Accord Rack & Pinion R&R ????????

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Bradley_P.

HELP!?!?!?..... Can't figure to how to remove the power steering type R&P assembly from a 1983 Honda Accord 4 door automatic. The Haynes manual is sorely inadequate. I've disconnected everything. The manual says to drop the unit down and rotate it 180 degrees and out of the body. Problem is, the tie rod ends and part of the hydraulic cylinder extend beyond the welded frame members which support the front suspension and are too close to the frame members to fully disengage the R&P unit, there's just not enough room to fully disengage the pinion from the body, much less rotate the unit. The welded frame members "box in" the ends so there's no way to drop down far enough to fully release... 3 inch drop... need 6. Obviously you can't cut the frame that's in the way.

My Dad talked to a mechanic at a local dealership who is experienced enough to have worked on this year model. The guy said he doesn't remember any difficulty... it dropped out with a little "downward and to the right" persuasion. Might have worked for him, but I'm totally stuck. <_< Someone removed one once 'cause I have a rebuilt I'm HOPING to install... maybe. Anybody had experience with this? Do you have to remove the inner & outer tie rods? That doesn't seem right. Any help is REALLY APPRECIATED!!!

Thanks,

Brad

Back