83 civic motor swap

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ThisIsAn83HONDA

Hi, I'm brand new to the site as of today, and I have an 83 1500 4door. The car is in pretty good condition, but I want a new motor because the em1 thats in it lacks the power and is just problematic. Are there any motors that will bolt in, our at least one that doesnt require too much mod?

nope. it will all require a good bit. i myself just finished up a d15b swap in a 83 civic. and after it being in there a week i decided to go back stock. but the custom mounts and axles are for sale if your interested. search for ahhvtecs 2nd gen build. for more info. what state you in.

That and what are you asking for the mounts/axles, and what can I find the motor hiding in? I'm a bit new to hondas

Cool. I know I have one hell of a task at hand, but if I can pick the motor and tranny up from the junk yard then I should be good. I'll get back to you on those mounts and axles. That will go with any b-series?

well i ran the 88-91 cable trans bc the stock was cable makes it a ton easier

Alright, sweet. This might end up being sold for something bigger when she is done because I have a little girl now and its not a family car. Lol. She is in good condition, but I have no clue what it's worth. Any idea on value after rebuild?

Oh sweet. And what do you mean by cable trans? Because mine is a 3 speed auto, and the trans is the one thing I really don't know much about.

well with a 5spd trans it will either be controlled by a cable or it will be hydro. old civic like that if 5spd was cable so its just easier to stick with a cable trans.

Alright, sweet. This might end up being sold for something bigger when she is done because I have a little girl now and its not a family car. Lol. She is in good condition, but I have no clue what it's worth. Any idea on value after rebuild?

if your plan is to put money into fixing it and then selling it for a profit, you may want to reconsider. You will almost certainly never get back out what you've put in, and that's true for virtually any car. If you want to build it to be different and so you can enjoy it, then by all means go for it.

Last edited:
As of right now it's just a car to have fun with and learn more from, but it may end up sold. I am lucky to have the means to do all the body work/paint at no expense too. I'm just more concerned about getting it running the way I would like. Haha. I even got this thing for free! I may be picking up a second gen hatch soon too. I'm excited. Haha

Back