84mm Pistons

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

delslow

I was looking up all the setups that people have this days and I seen more and more stroker kits people are using and a lot of block with over bores....Well I been thinking this through and I was wondering if this a good idea...I have a GSR block that is getting sleeved with 84mm bore, and I am using a my old GSR head...that I am getting built too.
This is one question that I have been thinking through is it a good to throw in a LS crank, yes I know I have to use a LS rods and pistons to use my block and also would I gain good power with it..and does anyone know where I could getting 84mm pistons with a 10.1 compression ratio...and to use with this setup...Please help...

Quoted post[/post]]
I was looking up all the setups that people have this days and I seen more and more stroker kits people are using and a lot of block with over bores....Well I been thinking this through and I was wondering if this a good idea...I have a GSR block that is getting sleeved with 84mm bore, and I am using a my old GSR head...that I am getting built too.
This is one question that I have been thinking through is it a good to throw in a LS crank, yes I know I have to use a LS rods and pistons to use my block and also would I gain good power with it..and does anyone know where I could getting 84mm pistons with a 10.1 compression ratio...and to use with this setup...Please help...

well, you wouldnt be able to use stock ls rods or stock ls pistons. with an 84mm bore you'd have to use aftermarket forged pistons whcih will then eliminate the stock ls rods.

if you use the ls crank, you will of course need ls 'sized' rods to accomodate the 89mm stroke.

good luck

400 whp at 18 psi with pump gas...
that is why i am asking this question....
is it worth the trouble or not....

you do not need to stroke it at all. hotrex on here has a stock bore/sleeve b16 400 whp @ 21 psi at 7.5:1 compression. also i think 10:1 is alittle high for running that much boost but a good tuner could get you there.

Quoted post[/post]]
you do not need to stroke it at all. hotrex on here has a stock bore/sleeve b16 400 whp @ 21 psi at 7.5:1 compression. also i think 10:1 is alittle high for running that much boost but a good tuner could get you there.

I suggest you go with 83mm max for future rebuilds if needed.
LS crank isnt needed, but will def. help out with torque. You will need to Bend or machine the piston oil squirters if you run an ls crank. You could always plug them up too.

Well okay, I was talking to one of my good friends and he suggest to stay with the GSR crank...still have the 84mm bore.....but now my question is where can i find or who would make custom pistons....one question is what would be the highest and safest compression ratio to use...to reach my goal...

Quoted post[/post]]
Well okay, I was talking to one of my good friends and he suggest to stay with the GSR crank...still have the 84mm bore.....but now my question is where can i find or who would make custom pistons....one question is what would be the highest and safest compression ratio to use...to reach my goal...

CP, Wiseco, Arias. I used CP, and their pistons are excellent so far.

As far as the highest safe CR to use, what gas are you looking to run? If you are in california and looking to run pump gas, run away from anything above 10.5:1 with boost, IMO. I'm running an 11.5:1 CR in my all motor build on craptacular California special '91' octane, and I still have a slight knock at WOT that needs to be tuned out with quite a bit of retard and fuel richness. With boost, that will get even worse.

I live in Utah...but they do still have the special "91" octane...but there is a service station that sells "100" octane race gas...but it cost an arm and a leg to get fuel from them...but what website or websites have you looked at and found the pistons...I heard of all the one you have mentioned...and I hear JE pistons make them... but they are expensive too...Thanks for the Help...

well, there is m24x.com. I got my pistons from robert, aka Rocket, but I think he is going through dealers exclusively now. If you want, I can email him, and see about getting a quote direct from cp for you for some custom pistons. look on m24x.com, it might still be up, but he was talking about taking the website down. kteller.com sells all of his stuff, so you might look there. There are quite a few others that you might find that carry all the pistons you could ever need, but Rocket has been my contact for all my engine parts with exception of the rods (thanks Mike!). A guy named jeff had a company called Import Tuners (i think...) that used to be on here a lot, and I recall him selling wiseco, je, arias, etc... just look around, I'm sure you'll find what you need. Also look for Tuner's Choice.

Back