85-86 Differences

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Tables95

Good evening guys and gals

Im looking into getting into an 85 CRX, shes in beautiful shape, no rust, just needs a proper paint job.

The shady bit comes with the mileage, on carfax it says the last recorded mileage was 77,000, back in 06 but the odometer now says 79,000, and he moved from arkansas between no and then, and is claiming it is currently being driven, he is also selling an 86 auto CRX as a parts car, and I wanted to know if there is any way to tell the difference between the gauge clusters from either an 85-86, or a 5spd-auto, on the first gen CRX

TL;DR: Shady craiglist dealer, decent car, worried about miles, whats the difference between an 85 and an 86 gauge setup

Welcome to Hondaswap, sorry I do not have the answer for you as I can no longer remember the differences. I would check some of the past posts to see if there is anything in there.
Redpepperracing.com is a great resource for 1st gen crx.

unless a grandma bought it new in the 80s, It is likely impossible that a car that old has that few miles. Go in to the deal expecting there to be a 1, 2 or maybe even a 3 in front of that 77k indicated. Even if the cluster wasn't swapped or rolled back, it might not have been hooked up for years (it's just a cable).

So, i'd suggest ignoring the number, and go in with a flashlight and look for signs of age and wear like bushings, rust on the rear quarters, oxidation on heat shields, etc etc

Thanks for the replies guys, I'll probably just do that briansol, I'll post later with pictures when I check it out

Back