86 civic engine swap

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Nymos

Ok i'm kinda new to honda's, and i just picked up a 1986 Civic DX. It looks like the cam gear tried to come out the timing cover, now i know that the valves are bent and it needs engine work, so i'm thinking it might be easier (or better) to put a newer (fuel injected) motor in but i'm noticing there are a lot of options. As for wiring in a ECU and the rest of the electronics i know i can do that, but just need a general idea of what kind of motor to look for. I'm not going for all out performance (yet) but something that is readily avaliable. Any thoughts would be appreciated :)

I believe taht going from craburated to fuel injection is a matter of switching wiring harnesses along with all the other swap stuff. You could just find a working FI head, and wiring harness

Anything will work (within reason) with enough research and enough effort put into it. What kind of power are you wanted (to start) and what kind of power MIGHT you be wanting?

Well i've done the carb to efi swap before (mind you it was a 350 into a jeep yj) so the wiring is not a problem but was wondering about what kind i should look for that dosn't require major structural work to make it fit, moving mounts around i can handle but if i have to rebuld the firewall to clear the intake.... i"m not after power that will try to kill me in this small tin can but a little more that it had.

I've got lines on an 88 civic but no idea as to what motor is in it, but it seems to run good and the body is shot so it would make a good donor car.

Back