86 Civic GL engine swap suggestions

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

reddy8150

Hello all new to the board and to Honda mods. I have a 86 civic GL carbed 1500cc ew motor. And what i would like to hear from you guys 'the experts' on a low to mid budget what would be the easiest engine swap. I am looking for 150 to 180 hp would like close to the same torque numbers. Open to a small psi turbo set up. I am very good at wiring so that wont be an issue on the type of swap but i do lack in the engine knowledge dept. thats where you guys come in 'hopefully'. I will drop the engine in myself but i would probably send it out to be built and machined. Anyways I would love to hear all options and swaps you guys would think would be easy and yield great results. This is a 4door sedan the ole family car.

Thank you in advance!

Last edited:
so it looks like after further reading a zc or 'd' motor would be easiest but what kind of power can you really oump out of those would it be worth it to do a 'b' series?

D16Z6 will hit your HP numbers really well, especially if you're going to use a turbo.
bonus that single cam parts are inexpensive and readily availiable.

it's OBD1 and VTEC for tunability.

try and use an Si tranny for the batter gear ratios.

start a thread and post pics of your project, it will help everybody, and you may need help.

good fortune and have fun!

Thanks for the reply, I am 90% sure of using a 'd' seies motor now...i like your idea the best so far inexpensive

the only D-series engine that will bolt into the 3g Civic is the 86-89 Integra D16A1 or the 84-87 JDM "browntop" DOHC ZC - for any 88 and up SOHC D-series like D16Z6, etc. you will have to fabricate all of the mounts and get custom axles and shift linkage made for it - you will also need the fuel system and most of the wiring from a 3g Si model in order to switch it from carb to fuel injection

im thinking the d16a1 is the way im going to go and turbo that

so i have decided to do the d16a1 blacktop motor swap....into my civic...now just need to locate a motor and all the goodies....anyone know of good place to start looking in AZ?

Back