86 crx hf, car starts and dies when engine is cold

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

smogtech1976

Hi all, I am newb to cars so I wanted to learn more about them. (been in the computer field for too long :mad: )
Anyways I just brought an 86 crx hf for $700 .
The car starts and then dies when engine is cold.
If I let the car warm up for like 3-4 min (foot on gas pedal at 2000+ RPM) then it will Idle. I changed the plugs & wires, value gasket, oil, adjust timing to spec, set the head lights to be even and flush the radiator. I did it all from reading from a sevice repair manual. . Anyone got idea as to how to help me? Much thanks in advance....

uhh check o2 sensor? i would first adjust the idle control screw thats located on the throttle body. see if that helps. it on the top left corner of the TP. I cant think of anything else right now:confused:

This car does not have a o2 sensor. I did play with the idle. I set it at about 700 then again at a little over 1000 but that did not help..... Any other ideas? :D
As for what the ecu is telling me how do i get that? Jump something? Remember this car has no mil light. Good junk Carburator hehhehehee.. But it does give me 45 miles per gallon good for my everyday drive to work!

ecu should be under the passenger seat, and should have a little window on it to see the little LED inside, i'm not sure if it has a jumper, i think they do not, just turn the key on...

not too familiar with carb'ed, sorry i can't hepl more

huh. wow never new that. just figured it was too old. ohh well. what are the codes man!

yeah carby dx and hf dont have a real ecu that gives codes.. the hf has one under the pass seat but its just for the emissions junk

try adjustin the idle on the carb but it sounds to me like u have a vaccum leak sumwhere between ur carb and im

either way try RedPepperRacing.com, its a awesome website for 1g crxs (84-87) and 3g civics (84-87)

<----s/n on RPR is SilverRex-Bullet

-Glenn-

BTW: the carbed crx's and civic's from 84-87 dont have ecu's unless they were the si model b/c they were fuel injected

Last edited:
Back