86 crx si ZC DOHC or SOHC VTEC

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

T rex

I just bought an 86 crx si all stock pretty clean car that I would like to make into a street/track car more track than street (1/4 mile track not road course track) I am looking to stay fairly inexspensive but do have some money to play
My plan is turbo but I dont know what engine is a good starting place I have owned some fast cars but dont know much about these old cars
I was wondering what is the better starting place the zc from the 88-89 teg or the sohc vtec from 93-95 si/ex civic please list why one way is better than the other Thanks for any help

SOHC VTEC engines from the EG Civics will not bolt into your car without fabricating mounts for it - your best bet would be a JDM "browntop" DOHC ZC 133hp which will bolt right in - the USDM 86-89 Integra engines, which are not ZCs but are D16A1, will also bolt-in - the 88-89 Integra D16A1 118hp is a little harder to swap because it uses electronic ignition advance where your CRX uses a vacuum advance ignition - this means you have to do a lot of wiring to get it to work - the 86-87 113hp Integra also uses the vacuum advance ignition and will plug right in to everything on the CRX, but does not have as much power as the 88-89 - for any of the D16A1s or the "browntop" ZC, you will need parts from 86-89 Integra - you will need transmission, intermediate shaft, axles, knuckles/hubs, shift linkage and ECU for the year of the engine - all of the 86-89 Integra ECUs are PG7, but the 86-87 is not the same as the 88-89 (because of the ignition) - all of the Integra parts bolt right into the CRX without any modification

ok that sounds like alot of parts either way is there any hope for power out of the stock engine If so where can I find rods and pistons for that engine If not worth the effort is the engine from the integra worth building

ok that sounds like alot of parts either way is there any hope for power out of the stock engine If so where can I find rods and pistons for that engine If not worth the effort is the engine from the integra worth building

I had the same car and I had no luck with finding performance parts for the stock engine. I did the 88-89 teg engine swap. wiring was a bitch!

Back