86 Motor swap

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

DSHIZNITZ

Can anyone offer a little help? Have an 86 Civic dx. As it is now, the motor is in excellent running condition. The motor has been completley re-vamped and runs great. But it is slow as shit. I was going to swap in a 2.0 si from an 88 prelude. Easy way out so i wouldn't have to deal with the carberator switching to mpfi conversion. i would love to drop in a b-series or at least a zc, but unsure of the steps/wiring/ecu requirements for the swap. any help?

You can find 1st gen ZC's that are carb. They're rare because importors fiqure what's the use but I don't know if a Lude engine drops in!

That being said i would really like to get away from the whole carberator set-up. this car is also going to be a daily driver and for that reason would rather have fuel injection. I'd also like to have a good platform for increasing hp later on. i know that hasport sells a motor mount kit for a b-series into an 86 civic, but have found little to no extra info

Anybody have any idea on how to handle this project. Any info would be help!!

i'm actually working on a 88 integra with a bseries swap right now so i might be able to help you some. i will use a bseries for example to give you some help.

Swap:
If your going with a b-series swap then you would need hasport motor mounts, hasport axles, you need to wire up to obd1 or find a obd0 engine, etc. very costly but well worth the trouble and money. A ZC or D16a1 (basically a ZC) should be a direct swap. but then again you would have to convert to MPFI. if you choose this route you can easily use your stock mounts, axles, etc. and wiring would be your only issue.

Wiring:
I really can't help with wiring because you will have to convert to MPFI if you are carburated right now.

you will need the entire wiring harness form the integra that the engine was out of.
It would make it much easier than trying to splice the wires in and hope you get it right.

Go to redpepperracing.com

The best first gen honda site around.

Going from a carb car to a MPFI car is one of the hardest swaps there is. You have to change the complete fuel system including fuel tank and all lines, plus most of the wiring including the under dash wiring. I would check out Redpepper Racings site, they have alot of info for you. ;)

Back