87 Accord preservation- am i screwed

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

commonsensehuh

87 accord trying to make it last i realize this might sound stupid. I have had this car for about 3 years and i am really just trying to keep it running it leaks oil and transmission fluid i was just wondering if there are any new techniques or some kind of recomendation besides total overhaul. a little short on cash at the moment. any advise would be much appreciated.

i feel retarted asking a question like this just call me a crackhead if want i understand but what would you do. short on cash, need the car and felt like its gonna take a crap any moment i dont want to rip it apart before i hear someone say theres nothing else i can do. i like the car and dont want to sell it for scrap i plan on just putting one of the many prelude engines in eventually.​

Last edited:
I have an 89 Accord with 200+k on it. But minr runs like a top! I'm going to have to change the oil pan gasket because it leaks a little and I hate oil leaks! If yours is leaking oil change the gaskets (unless you are talking about the front or rear main seals). The trany is the same way, change the pan gaskets and axle seals. The gaskets are fairly cheap and it really doesn't take that much to do. You shouldn't even have to remove the downpipe, just the center support (use a jack and some blocking). The valve cover gasket is easy, too. Start there and please post you results!

nah your not screwed. The trans oil i cant help you with, but the oil i can. Just gotta let me know where its leaking at. If its coming from the valve cover, just replace the gasket, 20 bucks max. As for any other questions you may have, i strongly suggest joining 3geez Forums ........we are all a little nuts for 3rd gen accords over there...

thanks. ya i have seen a couple top ends done and i have to admit i am a little worried about replacing the head gasket. having to remove the distributer, manifolds, alternator, ect.. all at once. i have changed starters radiators and some other fairly easy stuff but this is a little bigger of a job i need to buy some tools. how can i tell for sure that the front and rear main seals arent shot it really looks like its coming form the head gasket area. before i start this adventure and buy some tools torque wrench valve compressor and head gasket kit ect.. i want to know that i didnt do it in vain and that i could possibly last a while longer it only has 167K which as im sure you all know is nothin for a honda. Again thanks forthe advice, is there anything else i should know before i start.

WHOA there cowbow!!! A Head gasket?!?!?! If you have a head gasket leaking, you have alot more than just a leak. Are you seeing oil foaming in the oil? Are you losing coolent and not seeing it on the ground? If you are having these symptons then you may be having a head gasket issue. But, before you invest in a bunch of tools, get a compression tester. If you have low compression then you would be on the right track with a head job. You might have a bad valve. But, if you are seeing oil leaks, I'd say it's a gasket problem. To figure out if you have a front or rear main seal leaking, clean the undercarrage and bottom of the engine. Then run the car for a while. If you see oil coming out from behind the front pully, it's a bad front main seal. The rear is harder. But in order to change that one, you have to pull the tranny. Start cheap (gaskets and a compression tester) If you have any more questions, post them here and I'll try to help you out.

there is no smoke out of the exhuast and im not losing coolant anywhere but on the ground. but when i look at where the head is connected i see lots and lots of oil. the valve cover gasket looks fine. it really looks like the head gasket is leaking the oil. wouldnt my coolant / oil be mixing or can the head leak without these symtoms?? thanks again u got me thinking / reading...

I've only ever known 1 car that could leak oil at the head/block. that was a 2001/2002 Dodge Neon. There was a recall on that engine. I guess it could be possible. Ya, I would think the coolant and oil would be mixing if it was a head gasket. I've done a few heads on Hondas, and they arent that hard to do. Let me know what you decide to do.

Back