87 accord running like crap

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

tomsmith

87 Accord Lxi Running Like Crap

i have a 1987 accord lxi 2.0 and it's having some issues.

it starts fine, but the idle is kinda high, and revs up and down when the engine starts to warm up. (idle air bypass maybe?)

when it's in gear and cold, it runs fine, but the idle is a bit high(1100rpm or so) and as it starts to warm up it bogs down when i accelerate from a stop, but it doesn't stall out. if i just keep my foot on the pedal, but don't go WOT, it will eventually get up to speed, but runs like crap. if i go WOT (kick in the passing gear) it accelerates fine, though i try not to do this if i can avoid it.

also in gear, at a stop, the rpms will drop off a bit, down to 700 or so, and will start to idle a bit rough, not missing per say, just a bit rough. it will do that for a couple seconds, then the idle will kick back up to 1000-1100 or so and even out.

once i get up to cruising speed, it runs fine. just seems to bog down on acceleration or under load(going uphill).

the PGM-FI light comes on when the car is at operating temp.

i need a thermostat too, so i'm kinda wondering if maybe the combination of the idle air bypass valve and the thermostat would be the cause of these problems.

i've put a tune-up on it 3 months ago - cap/rotor/plugs/wires/air filter/oil change/filter. has a complete new exhaust from the downpipe on back, including new catalytic converter and high flow muffler.

any info would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
i have a 1987 accord lxi 2.0 and it's having some issues.

it starts fine, but the idle is kinda high, and revs up and down when the engine starts to warm up. (idle air bypass maybe?)

when it's in gear and cold, it runs fine, but the idle is a bit high(1100rpm or so) and as it starts to warm up it bogs down when i accelerate from a stop, but it doesn't stall out. if i just keep my foot on the pedal, but don't go WOT, it will eventually get up to speed, but runs like crap. if i go WOT (kick in the passing gear) it accelerates fine, though i try not to do this if i can avoid it.

also in gear, at a stop, the rpms will drop off a bit, down to 700 or so, and will start to idle a bit rough, not missing per say, just a bit rough. it will do that for a couple seconds, then the idle will kick back up to 1000-1100 or so and even out.

once i get up to cruising speed, it runs fine. just seems to bog down on acceleration or under load(going uphill).

the PGM-FI light comes on when the car is at operating temp.

i need a thermostat too, so i'm kinda wondering if maybe the combination of the idle air bypass valve and the thermostat would be the cause of these problems.

i've put a tune-up on it 3 months ago - cap/rotor/plugs/wires/air filter/oil change/filter. has a complete new exhaust from the downpipe on back, including new catalytic converter and high flow muffler.

any info would be greatly appreciated.

i changed the thermostat, but the car still kinda runs like crap. also i noticed there are vacuum two lines that run from the control box(?), the back left corner as you face the car, to the intake pipe that runs from the filter box to the throttle body assembly and one of these vacuum lines has snapped off. could that be causing some of my problems?

the vacuum line itself isn't the problem, it's the nipple that the line connects to thats broken. and now that i think about it, that line has been like that for a while now and i haven't really noticed anything wrong with how the car runs (actually not even sure what those lines are for). well, up until this recent development, so i'm thinking it's probably not the cause. i'm still kinda thinking it's the idle air bypass or a sensor of some sort. any tips on how i can get the the trouble codes for my car?

Last edited:
Back